Table top furniture epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptHaywire

Reaction score
I purchased table top pouring epoxy for a woodworking project. Would this epoxy work for internal filets? Should I add a filler like chopped fiberglass? I am considering using it on a 3" fiberglass Prometheus. I will be using rocket poxy for the outer filets.

I purchased table top pouring epoxy for a woodworking project. Would this epoxy work for internal filets? Should I add a filler like chopped fiberglass? I am considering using it on a 3" fiberglass Prometheus. I will be using rocket poxy for the outer filets.
Try it and see. I don’t know the working time, but it might work. A little bit of filler like chopped glass or carbon pulp would toughen it up, but you’ll see a huge difference in application.

Most epoxy, including clear "embedding" stuff and tabletop stuff (not most 5-min epoxy though) is stronger than needed for most rocketry applications. For really extreme flights (not just mach flights) one might want to consider something with greater strength. In that event, talk to the guys/gals who have been there and done that. But unless you're building a two-stage M-to-N for altitude, or similar...epoxy.

I don't know how necessary a reinforcing filler would be. But if using one I'd prefer either a powder of some sort that increases strength (alumina i.e. aluminum oxide) or fine milled fibers that won't cause such problems with application (vs. long fibers).

Most epoxies that cure super-clear and smooth have a long cure time, it may be a hindrance.

The ones I've used (for casting bits and pieces) also remain somewhat flexible. That wouldn't stop me from using it, but the cure time might. For motor tube connection, I'd second using aluminum filler if you want to add something.

Thanks everyone for your input! I am going to give the tabletop epoxy a try. It's winter here in Michigan and a warm heat register should move the curing time along.

I have some table top resin I used for a non rocketry application and as others have said it takes a really long time to cure. No idea if the structural strength is similar. I would stick with the traditional epoxies others use in rocketry such as, US Composites, West Systems, Rocketpoxy, etc...

I am going to run a test using a plywood fin and moderate heat to determine the strength. I am using Rocketpoxy for filets on the outer airframe.

I already have 5, 15, 30 minute epoxy. Then there is JB Weld, Gorilla, E6000 glue not to mention a bunch of super glue that is probably dried up. I am not trying to be a smart aleck but my glue bin is overflowing!

Anyone else have the same issue?

I have until March 5th for it to fully cure : )

For what it's worth, I've been using tabletop epoxy to cement weight in nose cones for a while. I do usually use a piece of TIG wire or two through the nose cone. It's worked well at that.

Thanks a lot for the tips on working with epoxy for woodworking projects.
I’m a total layman in this area, but I hope to learn more about this craft this winter. I’m retired now and have time to explore woodworking as much as I want. The point is that I want to make a table for my backyard because the one that’s there is now too old. I bought six chairs for the backyard last year. I got really good ones from a shop online. You can find more about the brand online. And now I want to make a table that would fit the color. And I want to use some epoxy to make it look unusual. Well, it’s time to work. I think I will begin after Christmas and write here if I have more questions. Thanks!

Back