Sunday is coming.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee55

Reaction score
Sunday morning July 24 is just a few days away, gonna prep my rockets I'm taking with me I'm taking with me to the field Sunday morning .. but I'm still concerned about the mean machine, I just picked up some D12-3 engines at hobby lobby today and was wondering how high will the mean machine go on the D12-3?

Sunday morning July 24 is just a few days away, gonna prep my rockets I'm taking with me I'm taking with me to the field Sunday morning .. but I'm still concerned about the mean machine, I just picked up some D12-3 engines at hobby lobby today and was wondering how high will the mean machine go on the D12-3?

To get you in the ball park we will need to know the weight of your rocket loaded ready to fly with wadding and parachute.

I can run it through open rocket and get you a pretty good idea of the altitude.

To get you in the ball park we will need to know the weight of your rocket loaded ready to fly with wadding and parachute.

I can run it through open rocket and get you a pretty good idea of the altitude.
Ahhh I wish I could tell u the weight.. I wouldn't know the frist thing about how to weigh it, but I'm gonna be using a D12-3 and use dog barf for wadding if that gives u any idea of the weight on her, I thought about using a C11-3 what's your thoughts on that size engine?

I would stick with the D12. C11 might not give it enough altitude for the 3 sec delay to fully deploy the chute. It is pretty heavy, so as soon as thrust is over it slows down quickly. Are you concerned that the field is not large enough for that size motor? It probably won’t go past 500’ but the stock chute will allow some drift in a breeze. You could cut a small spill hole but then it might land harder and pop off a fin.

Last edited:
I would stick with the D12. C11 might not give it enough altitude for the 3 sec delay to fully deploy the chute. It is pretty heavy, so as soon as thrust is over it slows down quickly.
Thanks... Yeah I drove 30 miles yesterday day to buy some D12-3 at hobby lobby so not gonna waste em for sure come Sunday I'm gonna use em to light that big bird up 😀

I'd use the D12-3 for the first flight to be safe. I think that is recommended by Estes IIRC.
But I would have some D12-5's on hand if it deploys early on the first flight for any follow up flights.
The D12-5 Bulk Packs are must if you like flying D's. You just can,t go wrong with the "MIGHTY-D"

Last edited:
Good luck on the launch. Looking forward to seeing a Launch Report from you after the flight... :music1:

As to which motor: The Mean Machine instructions state "D12-3 (first launch)". ...... Vern knows his rocketry ;)

Mean Machine Motor.jpg

Back