Sugar Motor thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
I removed it. Detailled discussions of ex are against our guidelines.
Cheers
fred

Just out of curiosity (I don't want to argue), what part of it was against the guidelines? From what I remember, it was more about safety than anything else. Nobody talked about propellant formulas or anything. Heck, people were just recommending a book on how to do it! (as well as a couple websites).
And didn't rstaff3 post in their? Isn't he another staff member? Why didn't he close it back in the beginning...

just curious :)

thanks! :)

No formulae there last I saw, but I did post a link to a review of a book that has them. So, go ahead and blame me :surprised:

The only issue I guess I had in retrospect was pointers to some questionable practices. I think, as I didn't follow all the links.

No formulae there last I saw, but I did post a link to a review of a book that has them. So, go ahead and blame me :surprised:

The only issue I guess I had in retrospect was pointers to some questionable practices. I think, as I didn't follow all the links.

no, no, no... I was using your post as an example of why the thread should not be removed...
and the links all seemed okay... Maybe the youtube links were soso but they could have been removed, which would have saved the valuable safety and other info in thebthread... Just my opinion...

[FONT=Georgia, serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif] Beating A Dead Horse ([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif] forcing an issue that is already closed [/FONT]... )<hr noshade="noshade" size="1"> [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif] <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td width="100%"> <center>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif]"beating a dead horse"[/FONT]</center>
GoEnglish_com_BeatADeadHorse.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif] You are beating a dead horse when you insist on talking about something that cannot be changed. Example: "I'd like to talk with you again about what happened." Reply: "Oh, come on. Let's not beat a dead horse."

Beating a dead horse is an action that has no purpose, because no matter how hard or how long you beat a dead horse, it is not going to get up and run. Example: "Let's not talk about it any more. Okay?" Reply: "You're right. We're just beating a dead horse."

To repeatedly bring up a particular topic with no chance of affecting the outcome is beating a dead horse. Example: "Dad, are you sure we can't get a new computer for the upstairs?" Reply: "Son, we talked about this and the decision was 'no'. You are beating a dead horse."
[/FONT]​
</td></tr></tbody></table>
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

how is this kicking a dead horse?
mods reverse descisions and change their minds all the time...

Disclaimer: No horses were harmed in the making of this thread.

[FONT=Georgia, serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif] Beating A Dead Horse ([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif] forcing an issue that is already closed [/FONT]... )[/FONT][/FONT]

I would not characterize the question, "What was wrong with this thread?" as being in that category. The point of the question should be to try to learn what was wrong and prevent it from happening the next time.

Not disclosing the problem leads to repetition.

Well, I guess I started this.
I couldn't care less if it was closed, I have moved on and I won't
be able to experiment any more for at least a month so...
oh well :)

Well, I guess I started this.
I couldn't care less if it was closed, I have moved on and I won't
be able to experiment any more for at least a month so...
oh well :)

Well then you were pretty selfish (no offense). Some of us (like me), would like to reference some things in that thread like safety info and the link to the book.

If there were formulas, then I understand. But I don't remember any.

Links and info on ex are all over the place. The thread seemed to be heading in a direction not apropriate for our guidelines. There were no formulas mentionned but the videos with Mr twister were way beyond what we allow here and the level of information on how to went beyond what we allow here. My action in no way should be construed as calling into question anybodies behaviour just doing my best to enforce board policy :) I would suggest we move on to other things as that thread will not be coming back.
Cheers
fred

I got an email this morning describing yesterdqy’s Activity on the forum. It included the following:
The sugar thread
( 2 New Posts Yesterday )
Stuart Leslie's website makes for really good reading material, particularly where he and Jimmy Yawn...”

I would like to know more about Stuart Leslie’s website... etc, etc. I’m going to go looking on my own, but you **** need to stop sensoring material that the forum invites readers to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an email this morning describing yesterdqy’s Activity on the forum. It included the following:
The sugar thread
( 2 New Posts Yesterday )
Stuart Leslie's website makes for really good reading material, particularly where he and Jimmy Yawn...”

I would like to know more about Stuart Leslie’s website... etc, etc. I’m going to go looking on my own, but you **** need to stop sensoring material that the forum invites readers to read.

I found the website in just a few seconds. And keep in mind that as a private site the people that run this site have every right to remove any content that they want to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I agree, and when I found it just now I realized that I had had it bookmarked for years, and had even corresponded with the site host since then. But that is old news. What still bothers me however is that after being “invited” to read certain threads, that those threads had been corrupted. True, the owners of the forum have certain rights, although in exercising those rights they have to accept the risks of losing financial support (which i’m Sure they do consider). Have a good day.

Yes I agree, and when I found it just now I realized that I had had it bookmarked for years, and had even corresponded with the site host since then. But that is old news. What still bothers me however is that after being “invited” to read certain threads, that those threads had been corrupted. True, the owners of the forum have certain rights, although in exercising those rights they have to accept the risks of losing financial support (which i’m Sure they do consider). Have a good day.

Maybe you’re in the wrong thread. The one that showed up in the notifications is named “The Sugar Thread”. It’s still there and doesn’t appear to have been censored.
This thread is named “The Sugar Motor Thread” and has been dead for 11 years.

Clicking on this link leads to no where. "It's dead, Jim". This is probably why so many jumped on this thread when they saw action on it in our email notifications. This was the 3rd time I've seen it listed, clicked on the link and it goes back to the forums, only.

Do you have access? It’s in the restricted forum.

Do you have access? It’s in the restricted forum.

Nope! I do my own research independent of this board on Ex motors and have been for many months. It would have been NICE to have seen what others are talking about but apparently we aren't supposed to "go there". Either way, I do my own thing on this.

Nope! I do my own research independent of this board on Ex motors and have been for many months. It would have been NICE to have seen what others are talking about but apparently we aren't supposed to "go there". Either way, I do my own thing on this.

You can go there with a PM to CWbullet provided you are US citizen and at a minimum NAR or TRA L1.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/research-forum-access.17943/

If you like working with sugar motors, than it would be worth while to ask for access (provided you meet the cirteria) as there is a long running sugar motor thread in the research forum.

Clicking on this link leads to no where. "It's dead, Jim". This is probably why so many jumped on this thread when they saw action on it in our email notifications. This was the 3rd time I've seen it listed, clicked on the link and it goes back to the forums, only.

The link worked just fine for me.

Back