Success with Jolly Logic Chute Release at NYPower

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulveyr

Reaction score
Just to add to the other threads...

My son and I flew a Formula 75 and LOC IQSY Tomahawk many, many times at NYPower this weekend with a chute release, and it worked perfectly every time. Additionally, it sounded like at least a dozen or more other people were doing the same, and I didn't see any indications of issues or failures with them.

It really is a fantastic device for greatly reducing the amount of walking and/or lost rockets.

I had a SystemsGo team use a chute release in their rocket. The vehicle disintegrated during ascent, and the chute release still worked perfectly... drifted forever and was lost because the only thing the parachute was holding was a part of the avionics bay, but still.... :)

I remember seeing quite a few flights with chute release when I was there. Makes me want one myself. Seeing them work so successfully in person is the greatest advertising tool.

I wouldn't have attempted my L1 flight with the rocket/chute setup I have, during the wind conditions that were present, without the Chute Release. I just love that little thing. I will say though, with these still being fairly new, that you have to spell it out to the RSO or whomever is on the mic that yes, your rocket is actually running a drogueless dual deploy and to please not get the crowd all riled up when no chute is spotted at apogee.

I had a few failures with CR getting stuck in the body tube until I figured out the problem. I'm pretty sure you need a layer of fabric (chute, fire blanket, etc.) between the CR and the body tube. When I did that, it worked great. When I didn't, the CR got stuck even if I did a puff test. I suspect that the BP ejection charge is enough more violent than puffing that it pushes the CR against the side of the tube where it can drag on the tube until the BP charge pressure dissipates.

Back