Stuffing a standard Beeline into a 29mm Raven AV Bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neutronium95

Reaction score
I remember hearing that this could be done before, but I haven't seen anything else on how to do it. Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

I remember hearing that this could be done before, but I haven't seen anything else on how to do it. Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

You need to remove the Beeline's power and programming connectors, and connect its power to the Arm Out and Gnd pads on the active bulkhead. There's a tiny hole for the antenna above the "m" in "Arm Out" on the outside.

How do you program it then, and do you have any pictures? Thanks

You have to program it the way you want it before you take the programming connector off.

Here are a couple of pictures of a standard beeline going into a 38mm av-bay, with its own battery and separate magnetic switch:

IMG_2947.jpg

It's not all that relevant though, since for that installation I also had the antenna extending the other direction.

In my 29mm record bird I installed a prototype USB-enabled Beeline into the av-bay.

Adrian,
Are you worried about interfence from the beeline and raven together in an av bay?

My BALLS flight had the BeeLine GPS in the av bay alongside a pair of Ravens.

Absolutely no problems. Both Ravens did their job.

You need to remove the Beeline's power and programming connectors, and connect its power to the Arm Out and Gnd pads on the active bulkhead. There's a tiny hole for the antenna above the "m" in "Arm Out" on the outside.

The antenna as supplied has a larger diameter than the hole in the bulkhead. Should I strip the yellow insulation off the antenna so it will fit through the hole, or should I drill out the hole to allow the antenna to fit?

I am concerned that a bare antenna would come into contact with one of the electrified nuts/threads or an igniter. I assume that would be bad news for the BRB to receive a charge through the antenna.

I'm also pondering how to protect the antenna from getting tangled/damaged by the shockcord. If stripping the insulation will not adversely affect the antenna, then I think that the shockcord is more likely to slide off of the bare copper than the plasticized/rubbery surface.

The antenna as supplied has a larger diameter than the hole in the bulkhead. Should I strip the yellow insulation off the antenna so it will fit through the hole, or should I drill out the hole to allow the antenna to fit?

I am concerned that a bare antenna would come into contact with one of the electrified nuts/threads or an igniter. I assume that would be bad news for the BRB to receive a charge through the antenna.

I'm also pondering how to protect the antenna from getting tangled/damaged by the shockcord. If stripping the insulation will not adversely affect the antenna, then I think that the shockcord is more likely to slide off of the bare copper than the plasticized/rubbery surface.

When I have done this in years past, I think I pulled the insulation off, put the brass wire through, and then put the insulation back on again on the other side, IIRC. I have also flown it with the bare antenna. It would have to get bent pretty hard to make contact with the terminals. I think I taped it securely against the shock cord.

Back