Blue Raven Calibration and Different Av-Bay Configs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjhambrick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Questions for @Adrian A

Is it OK to calibrate a Blue Raven with a Power Perch and then install it in a Featherweight Av-Bay where the alignment will be different ?

Or is it best to calibrate each Blue Raven in the Av-Bay in which it will be flown ?

I can go either way but I've already got a Power Perch rigged so that it will be MUCH simpler to align my gadgets for each of the six one-G samples ?

If I move a Blue Raven to a new Av-Bay, do I need to recalibrate it ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

Questions for @Adrian A

Is it OK to calibrate a Blue Raven with a Power Perch and then install it in a Featherweight Av-Bay where the alignment will be different ?

Or is it best to calibrate each Blue Raven in the Av-Bay in which it will be flown ?

I can go either way but I've already got a Power Perch rigged so that it will be MUCH simpler to align my gadgets for each of the six one-G samples ?

If I move a Blue Raven to a new Av-Bay, do I need to recalibrate it ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

The calibration only affects that unit, and will not be affected by the av-bay in which it is installed.

The calibration covers all 3 axes of both accelerometers, so it will work whichever way the altimeter is aligned, in any av-bay.

For those who don't know, re-calibrating the accelerometers is optional, but if you re-calibrate within about a week of the flight, that will provide the best results if you are paying close attention to the inertial navigation performance. Re-calibration is not necessary for basic functionality.

Woo Hoo !

My new Blue Ravens arrived yesterday.

Thanks for your new three-fer discount, Adrian !

It got me off the couch in the dog house at least a day early when I explained to my wife 'but I saved 50 bucks !' :)

The calibration only affects that unit, and will not be affected by the av-bay in which it is installed.

The calibration covers all 3 axes of both accelerometers, so it will work whichever way the altimeter is aligned, in any av-bay.

For those who don't know, re-calibrating the accelerometers is optional, but if you re-calibrate within about a week of the flight, that will provide the best results if you are paying close attention to the inertial navigation performance. Re-calibration is not necessary for basic functionality.
Being a Data Geek, the primary mission for my flights is thrust and aerodynamic data collection so I will be setting up some sort of simple calibration rig for periodic recalibration :)

Thanks again Adrian !

-- kjh

Latest posts

Back