Stratologger SL100 Refurb question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wllmbr

Works with Rocket Scientists
Reaction score
I recently came to own an SL100 that had been submerged in water for several hours (rocket landed in a lake) and the previous owner had left them connected to the batteries after recovering the rocket (just put the AV bay aside and left it alone). I believe it is salvageable since looking over the board, the only thing I can find damaged is the SOT-23 package labeled U4. Probing with my DMM I'm pretty sure it is the voltage regulator and it looks likes the power input pin got blown off. If that is the case, the regulator should have taken the brunt of the power surge and protected everything else (whether the barometer works is entirely something else).

What I would like from someone is confirmation that what I think is the regulator is indeed that and also the power output it provides. Specifically:
  1. Is U4 the regulator? (does the lone pin side have the same voltage as the battery input? or close to?)
  2. Is the power out 3.3V? (does pin closer to the center of the board have 3.3V on it)

Unfortunately I cannot find the exact part number based on the markings alone, but I believe I have found a suitable replacement. Before I spend more money on shipping than the actual component I'd like to have someone confirm some of the characteristics.

If you have an SL100 and a DMM, I'd really appreciate your help!

Is fixing, or attempting to fix, a damaged $50 altimeter worth the risk? Just my opinion.

I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Lets say I replace the regulator and it powers up fine. I test fly it a few times alongside my CF as just a ride-along and if it always shows it fired dummy ematches when it was supposed to, then I have a new $50 altimeter that I can use as a redundant backup. If it doesn't work, then I'm out a 40 cent regulator and a saturday working on it.

Either way I think its a win for me, so far figuring out whats wrong with it has been a fun little project.

Back