Stratologger+RRC2 or Stratologger + GWIZLCX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is it so cheap??

The set points are limited. Check the manual for the numbers. That being said, I've been using a few of these for about 8 months now, 100% success rate so far. I fly a single in my Blackhawk 38 and Wildman Jr, and have two as back up's (backing up Stratologgers) in both my 3" and 4" airframes. The 4" did 14,000' at Mach 1.4 at Midwest Power 9.

IMO the most important thing you have to do with any altimeter is to reald and understand the manual so that you know how it works, and what it wll or will not do. This includes knowing the arming characteristics to account for fast burn motors.

You can not reliably use a dumb baro only altimeter on any rockets that approaches mach. Mach flow occur as the airflow is accelerated around the NC before the rocket itself reaches mach.

The absolute minimum requirement is a baro-altimeter with a Mach delay that prevents any deployment events from occurring unitl you are certain that you rocket will be below mach. This is the really not desirable today because if the motor malfunctions the chute will not deploy until after the delay time.

A smart baro altimeter that runs a Kalman fiter to analyze the motion of the rocket or has an acclerometer in addtion to the barometer to determine the rocket is over mach are most desirable. They do not make you think about mach delay and will still deploy if the rocket fails to perform as expected.

IMO the risk reward analysis says you don't worry about a $50 different in altimeter cost when you're launching a $200+ rocket and a $400+ motor.

An finally, having a written check list, and following it for each launch should catch any mistakes you might have made before the button is pushed.

Bob

IMO the most important thing you have to do with any altimeter is to reald and understand the manual so that you know how it works, and what it wll or will not do. This includes knowing the arming characteristics to account for fast burn motors.

You can not reliably use a dumb baro only altimeter on any rockets that approaches mach. Mach flow occur as the airflow is accelerated around the NC before the rocket itself reaches mach.

The absolute minimum requirement is a baro-altimeter with a Mach delay that prevents any deployment events from occurring unitl you are certain that you rocket will be below mach. This is the really not desirable today because if the motor malfunctions the chute will not deploy until after the delay time.

A smart baro altimeter that runs a Kalman fiter to analyze the motion of the rocket or has an acclerometer in addtion to the barometer to determine the rocket is over mach are most desirable. They do not make you think about mach delay and will still deploy if the rocket fails to perform as expected.

IMO the risk reward analysis says you don't worry about a $50 different in altimeter cost when you're launching a $200+ rocket and a $400+ motor.

An finally, having a written check list, and following it for each launch should catch any mistakes you might have made before the button is pushed.

Bob

Right. I wan to purchase the best electronics deployment system that I can afford. I don't like the sound of the mach delay function you need to set because I feel it is like using motor ejection, where you are not completely sure if it will be the right number. The LCX for me has worked before and as I said I already have the data transfer set for it.

Back