Story in photos: XPRS 2013

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fdog

Reaction score
This year, I flew less, and shot more photos. For those that haven't been to XPRS and the Black Rock, I thought I'd share to help others see how magnificent this venue and event is.

I wasn't even scheduled to attend this year because of work pressures, it took some creative shift trading to make it happen.

With all the doom and gloom of unseasonal thunderstorms flooding the playa, we drove out mid-Friday.

We arrived to see another rain cell sliding by to the north. As well as this imposing structure:

Uberrain800.jpg

Rain in the background as a flyer looks over the Transamerica Pyramid.

As the weekend continued, we saw this motorized monstrosity, variously nicknamed the Transamerica Pyramid, or the Uber tower, or whatever, was used for the ARLISS launches.

ARLISSuber.jpg

An ARLISS team loads and preps their flight.

Launches from the big white tower were pretty cool to watch, although not all the ARLISS launches were from there, some were from the regular ol' 1515 rail.

ARLISS3.jpg

A late afternoon launch from the Uber tower.

For those that aren't familiar with the ARLISS project, it is a venue for college students to design, build, and launch their own payloads. There is a whole web site devoted to this worthy project.

CostaRica1.jpg

Success! The Costa Rican college team celebrates a successful trial run of their rover payload.

Something that was very cool was how the ARLISS teams shared. Here, the Costa Rican team takes the time to explain their project with the children of a forum member, Green Jello.

CostaRica2.jpg

Dave's two sons get an introduction to rocket science courtesy of the Costa Ricans and their rover.

The ARLISS launches are conducted the week before XPRS, and end the first day of XPRS. Still, it was great to hear M motor after M motor as the ARLISS projects were lofted.

ARLISSdusk.jpg

An ARLISS launch at dusk. Spectacular.

Although we brought or toy hauler, and most XPRS participants brought RV's, still, some camped under the great open skies of the Black Rock Desert.

SunsetSetup.jpg

Sunset arrival: An attendee sets up camp on the west end of the flight line. XPRS was the best-attended rocketry event so far this year in the Black Rock.

We've been bringing our RZR UTV to these events for years. (It's possible we've been annoying in how much we've talked these up as a rocketry recovery vehicle :) ) This year, we saw more UTV's and ATV's at a rocketry event yet. Yay!

ATV.jpg

Schlep in style: using an ATV to take a project out to the away pads.

Some folks stuck with the tried and true methods, however. Here's one of the more prolific fliers using foot power.

Walk.jpg

Yet another flight! Walking down to the RSO table.

There were so many fliers, Saturday saw a standing-room-only line develop at the LCO. This meant that the landing area became busy as well!

RocketsEverywhere.jpg

Traffic controls: landing congestion on the range.

A forum member, Green Jello, took his life in his hands and brought not only his children, but his wife as well. They got to watch as Dave, nervous as could be, flew his new Super DX3 for his first dual deploy.

GJ1.jpg

Dave preps his DX3.

GJ2.jpg

...and arms the electronics...

GJ3.jpg

For a perfect flight on an I-125!

Thins didn't go so well in the Flenner camp. My wife, Janet, had this happen midway through boost on a J-530:

Aviatrix.jpg

Toasted: the fincan of Janet's Formula 75 Dual Deploy. Except for the fincan, everything else was undamaged.

I've got to toot the horn for Jack Garibaldi (once again). He took one look at the lot number and motor type, determined that it had been defective, and warranty replaced the reload and case on the spot.

As for myself, although my Wildman Extreme flew straight as an arrow and everything deployed flawlessly, I fell short of my goal (25,000') by a mere 167 feet of altitude Dang. Still had fun though.

Something that is enjoyable as can be about XPRS are the dusk and night launches. This is the perfect opportunity to fly those sparky motors.

Dusk3.jpg

Pretty as a picture: With the rosy sunset-painted clouds in the background, who wouldn't want to see this.

Night1.jpg

Two rockets duke it out in a night drag race.

Night2.jpg

The front line: Moonlight bathes the front line of RV's as a flight is seen complete to the ejection charge.

I've only just touched on the fun we had at XPRS. If you are on the west coast, you owe it to yourself to try it as an event. Come early and watch some amazing science projects at ARLISS, too!

All the best, James

"Some folks stuck with the tried and true methods, however. Here's one of the more prolific fliers using foot power."

That's me walking to RSO table withn my hat and TCC Dairy Aire T shirt... I get my exercise recovering rockets.... I was on the extreme west end (dry spot) and my flight fell at every compass point but the west end!

I was camped next to the Flenner trailer.

Here are my images. There are 109 of them. If you see something of yours and want the full res version let me know.

https://imgur.com/a/l5lHk#0

James, there is the launch sequence on your Wildman Extreme in there.

Man, I wish I could have been there.

I have to go to more XPRS's.

Back