Quantcast

Square Lexon fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

cobra1336

Reaction score
Building a bic pen rocket. 3 ft. long, 2 inch diameter. Working on the nose cone now and cutting some Lexon fins. Was trying to decide on fin shape and I wondered, why not keep them square. 38 mt and have an 29 mm adapter. Will do some G motors at first depending on weight then up to maybe an H or I. Guessing at weight right now I would say I'll bee in the 2-3 lb. zone. My beer bottle rocket (3 lbs.) flys great on H motors but is a lead sled thru the air. So, would the sleeker pen rocket be O.K. with square fins? Fins are 4" tall X 4.5" long right now.

cobra1336

Reaction score
opps............yes lexan.............so, would square fins be O.K.?

dragon_rider10

Reaction score
I hope that wouldn't be a glass beer bottle for that other rocket.

You would probably do better with tapered fins on the pen, if I had to guess.

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
Building a bic pen rocket. 3 ft. long, 2 inch diameter. Working on the nose cone now and cutting some Lexon fins. Was trying to decide on fin shape and I wondered, why not keep them square. 38 mt and have an 29 mm adapter. Will do some G motors at first depending on weight then up to maybe an H or I. Guessing at weight right now I would say I'll bee in the 2-3 lb. zone. My beer bottle rocket (3 lbs.) flys great on H motors but is a lead sled thru the air. So, would the sleeker pen rocket be O.K. with square fins? Fins are 4" tall X 4.5" long right now.
Where are you getting a 3 foot long pen? :confused:

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Cobra:
square Polycarbonate fins will be fine as long as the area is sufficent.

017-sm_R2-D2 Odd-Roc_02-12-86.jpg

242a-sm_MM Snowman 7mm_12-15-00.jpg

cobra1336

Reaction score
Where are you getting a 3 foot long pen?

It's a scratch build. Found some 2" white tubing (not PCV) Had to scratch a nose cone from balsa and body filler (not done yet). Will look like a pen cap when done.

I did taper the fins a little last night. It is generally the same size as my Callitiso so I sort of copied the fin size but they have more surface area.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sure like to see some pics Cobra when ya get a chance.
I'm kinda partical to Skywriting Odd-Rocs LOL!!!

cobra1336

Reaction score
got the nose cone done. here's some pics the cap is patriot blue the pics look black

pen 001.jpg

pen 002.JPG

pen 003.jpg

pen 004.jpg

cobra1336

Reaction score
The first couple of pics makes the pen cap look short, sorry about the photos, it is to scale and looks bigger / longer in real life

Latest posts