Square Lexon fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra1336

Reaction score
Building a bic pen rocket. 3 ft. long, 2 inch diameter. Working on the nose cone now and cutting some Lexon fins. Was trying to decide on fin shape and I wondered, why not keep them square. 38 mt and have an 29 mm adapter. Will do some G motors at first depending on weight then up to maybe an H or I. Guessing at weight right now I would say I'll bee in the 2-3 lb. zone. My beer bottle rocket (3 lbs.) flys great on H motors but is a lead sled thru the air. So, would the sleeker pen rocket be O.K. with square fins? Fins are 4" tall X 4.5" long right now.

opps............yes lexan.............so, would square fins be O.K.?

I hope that wouldn't be a glass beer bottle for that other rocket.

You would probably do better with tapered fins on the pen, if I had to guess.

Building a bic pen rocket. 3 ft. long, 2 inch diameter. Working on the nose cone now and cutting some Lexon fins. Was trying to decide on fin shape and I wondered, why not keep them square. 38 mt and have an 29 mm adapter. Will do some G motors at first depending on weight then up to maybe an H or I. Guessing at weight right now I would say I'll bee in the 2-3 lb. zone. My beer bottle rocket (3 lbs.) flys great on H motors but is a lead sled thru the air. So, would the sleeker pen rocket be O.K. with square fins? Fins are 4" tall X 4.5" long right now.

Where are you getting a 3 foot long pen? :confused:

Where are you getting a 3 foot long pen?

It's a scratch build. Found some 2" white tubing (not PCV) Had to scratch a nose cone from balsa and body filler (not done yet). Will look like a pen cap when done.

I did taper the fins a little last night. It is generally the same size as my Callitiso so I sort of copied the fin size but they have more surface area.

got the nose cone done. here's some pics the cap is patriot blue the pics look black

pen 001.jpg

pen 002.JPG

pen 003.jpg

pen 004.jpg

The first couple of pics makes the pen cap look short, sorry about the photos, it is to scale and looks bigger / longer in real life

Back