spool rocket stability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Holverson

Reaction score
Do spool rockets need to be going past a certain speed to remain stable? And do they start to spin and tumble once they drop below that speed?

I have this spool rocket and used a AT SU F67-4W motor for its first launch. It looked like the speed off the launch rod was fast, but it wobbled pretty good all the way to apogee, arced over and ejected the chute. I’m guessing it went to around 200’. Lots of flame, smoke and noise. Next launch thinking will use a G74-6W.
https://flightsketch.com/store/catalog/loc-cool-spool_152/

That’s an interesting question. I’ve flown a number of low power spools and have never seen one tumble during boost. Just guessing, but I suspect if they have enough thrust to fly, they’ll be ‘stable’, less than that and they would likely end up on the ground and spin around. I’ve flown the Squirrel Works 2-stage spool and it’s pretty slow off the rod, but still plenty stable.

Nice thing about spools, you can test them very easily, almost no prep between flights.

Tony

They're pretty stable on the highway as well.

I would assume that *anything* requires a certain amount of speed to become aerodynamically stable, but in the case of base drag-driven rockets like spools, the speed is probably so low that it stops being a consideration.

Wow.. I was expecting that to end badly. :eek: All things considered... it went quite well.

The stability of spools isn't more speed dependent than for fins. Both need to get up to some minimum speed for the restoring forces to be strong enough to keep the flight stable, but there's nothing about spools that makes them particularly less stable at low speeds.

This is a video of my spool on a .... don't remember, 29mm smokey. The thing wiggles on the way up, not because it's unstable (shut up, John), but because it's as much hot glue and duct tape as original plastic spool. When thrust ends, it stops flying. I'll try to find more videos of it.

Back