SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm honest , I'm not particularly impressed. A small rocket with first landing stage.If taking off every two days and was building a big ship in orbit - then I'd be impressed.Russians launch more Soyuz than SapceX falcons per year.Even people on board. And for decades.Where is the settlement on Mars? With such a flight can not be driven into orbit only food for 2 persons for human orbital flight around Mars.What nonsense Musk flight to Mars in one direction? First you need to make orbital flight testing. Then to send a lot but much equipment. And only then a man on Mars. This is not the moon, flying off from there is very difficult. And conditions are not better than those on the moon. No food, no air, no pressure. No spacesuit - dead.No food- dead. No air- dead.The air say will be recycled. But we have very very air reserve. Food would be produced there. As in the movie Martian. It will happen but many attempts and failures. Mars need to be brought tens of tons of food and air. And other equipment. To have a manned flight there any sense. Do not die of hunger or lack of breath even survive the landing.

That's sort of like saying a Ford Focus is a terrible car because you can't use it to haul all of your possessions and your house on a trailer. A Focus might still be a useful car for you, just for commuting rather than shipping stuff. You'd use a semi to move your house. Also, Falcon 9 delivers about 22+ MT to low earth orbit, while Soyuz delivers 6-8 MT. There's nothing wrong with Soyuz; it's purpose is to lift 6-8 MT to LEO, but the Falcon 9 is a more capable launcher and definitely not "small". The only operational rockets with more capacity are the Delta IV Heavy (28+ MT) and the Angara A5 (24+ MT). Falcon 9 will carry people in the near future, and will do it at a fraction of the cost of Soyuz, particularly once stages are re-usable.

The Mars Colonial Transporter ships are on the drawing board, but nobody will start building them until there is an income stream to support it.

This thread is really more for the current Falcon-9 flights (and Falcon-Heavy whenever it finally happens).

It is not for future projects like Mars.

And not for "tinkling contests" over who else is doing what or has done what.

Please begin another thread for that kind of stuff, not this one.

If I'm honest , I'm not particularly impressed. A small rocket with first landing stage.If taking off every two days and was building a big ship in orbit - then I'd be impressed.Russians launch more Soyuz than SapceX falcons per year.Even people on board. And for decades.Where is the settlement on Mars? With such a flight can not be driven into orbit only food for 2 persons for human orbital flight around Mars.What nonsense Musk flight to Mars in one direction? First you need to make orbital flight testing. Then to send a lot but much equipment. And only then a man on Mars. This is not the moon, flying off from there is very difficult. And conditions are not better than those on the moon. No food, no air, no pressure. No spacesuit - dead.No food- dead. No air- dead.The air say will be recycled. But we have very very air reserve. Food would be produced there. As in the movie Martian. It will happen but many attempts and failures. Mars need to be brought tens of tons of food and air. And other equipment. To have a manned flight there any sense. Do not die of hunger or lack of breath even survive the landing.

Before the NASA put people on the moon they first crashed probes into it, then landed probes on it. For spaceX the planned Mars landing is the equivalent of landing a probe on the moon back in the day. It's an extremely important step for anyone who wants to put people on Mars. They are proving that they can control an heavy re entry vehicle in the Mars atmosphere. Their Mars Dragon is much heavier than anything that has previously landed on Mars and NASA is extremely keen to parter with them so that they can obtain data produced by the landing attempt.

Eight months ago, when nobody had ever successfully landed a booster, this was considered a technological marvel. Now, after 6 successful landings, it's getting boring.

Meh... SpaceX landed another rocket on a boat. Big deal. What else ya got for me?

It'll get more exciting when they finally start to re-fly the boosters. Until they get re-used , by paying customers, it's otherwise been a very neat science experiment. But they haven't done it for the purpose of a science experiment, they've done it for making $$ as well as making it less expensive to launch things into orbit.

SpaceX says they plan to fly two of the landed boosters by the end of the year. I'm translating that into they'll probably refly one around November, give or take. Maybe.

Falcon Heavy remains 6 months away, as it has since Spring 2015. But one of these days (years), they'll fly the FH. It'll really be something not only when they safely land two boosters and core, but eventually re-use two boosters and a core.

Like thirsty said, it's getting boring! Let's start putting men in them and then it might get interesting!

Eight months ago, when nobody had ever successfully landed a booster, this was considered a technological marvel. Now, after 6 successful landings, it's getting boring.

Meh... SpaceX landed another rocket on a boat. Big deal. What else ya got for me?

You forget that all engines and the first and the second stage of shuttle returns to Earth. Well not so spectacular but returned. And the engines of 2 nd and 3 rd stage of Falcon will not be returned.Realistically shuttle lost only huge reservoir of hydrogen and oxygen.I'm not against Falcon. But neither is something qualitatively different off other rockets or more often launched than other rockets.
Of course I could write WOW and everyone to love me but usually speak what I think :)

Last edited:
I was really being facetious and commenting on how quickly people become used to something truly amazing. Of course the goal of SpaceX is to make the reuse of the boosters routine and boring, but I still find it exciting. I'm looking forward to the Falcon Heavy launch and hope it happens soon. It won't be long before SpaceX is flying the crewed Dragon capsules, and then there's Boeing's commercial crew capsule, and Orion, and SLS. I think this is one of the most exciting times in spaceflight in decades.

You forget that all engines and the first and the second stage of shuttle returns to Earth. Well not so spectacular but returned. And the engines of 2 nd and 3 rd stage of Falcon will not be returned.Realistically shuttle lost only huge reservoir of hydrogen and oxygen.I'm not against Falcon. But neither is something qualitatively different off other rockets or more often launched than other rockets.
Of course I could write WOW and everyone to love me but usually speak what I think :)

Ohhh, don't go and open that can of worms. George is right. If you want to open a thread about the relative merits of the Space Shuttle vs. the Falcon 9 (or even Saturn V) feel free to open a new thread and do it there. But be forewarned that this is another "hot button" issue for some people around here and you run the risk of being buried in data.

Just don't do it here.

You could not be more wrong. The Falcon is most certainly qualitatively different than all other rockets.

The Space Shuttles boosters (first stage sort of) did return, but they were allowed to splash into salt water which required a tremendous amount of time and money to clean them and prepare them for re-use. Falcon 9 doesn't do that, the first stage comes back to be reused with (hopefully) minimal refurbishing.

When you say they only lost the huge reservoir of hydrogen and oxygen, I'm not sure if you mean they only lost the fuel, or the External Tank. Replacing the huge tank each flight was a very significant cost as well. The tank didn't land safely - it was destroyed. The main fuel tanks on the Falcon 9 aren't lost. The second stage is, for now, but that's a lesser portion of the total cost than the first stage is, and therefore allows for a huge reduction in cost for each mission when reused.

All the main engines did return to Earth on the Orbiter, but they too required major rebuilding after each flight, essentially tearing them down completely and a good deal of the parts were replaced. The Falcon 9 will certainly require the engines to be tested, but SpaceX is planning on those engines to be reused with far less refurbishing.

And finally, the Shuttle was a huge waste of weight taken to orbit each mission. The wings, tail, tires, etc. are only used for landing but are a significant percentage of the total weight that was launched. The Falcon 9 will be able to get cargo and people into space MUCH cheaper than the Shuttle could, and will launch much more often.

So yes, the Falcon 9 is a much different approach to launching rockets than anything else so far, including the Shuttle, the Blue Origin rockets, or even the Saturn V (my favorite rocket).

Wow.

Edit - to stay on topic. It looks like the next Falcon 9 launch will be in September from Canaveral again to launch the Amos 6 satellite. Two total launches September and two in October on the schedule.

Last edited:
OCISLY returned to port recently. After this, the booster used for JCSAT-16 was offloaded onto the dock.

Photo credit: Mary Ellen Jelen / We Report Space

mVwkZr9.jpg

9iBfS1r.jpg

iLGBS2D.jpg

TXgtiQF.jpg

Last edited:
OCISLY returned to port recently. After this, the booster used for JCSAT-16 was offloaded onto the dock.

Photo credit: Mary Ellen Jelen / We Report Space

TXgtiQF.jpg

Great pictures George. Is it my imagination or did they expedite this off-load. Interesting detail in this pic, you can see what I would call a skirt at the bottom of the rocket, which looks to be a replaceable heat-shield. I would love to read more about what they are discovering as far as what has to be replaced, reconditioned, etc. from one flight to another.

Last edited:
Wow I just read this "According to numerous eyewitness reports, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket just exploded during a test on a launch pad at Cape Canaveral. This rocket was set to launch on Saturday, September 3 on a mission to deliver Facebook’s first satellite to orbit. The status of the payload is unknown at this time."

If accurate then I feel bad for Musk and SpaceX but not Facebook and Zuckerberg, I take this as a sign from the rocket gods that FB should not be placing satellites in orbit.

[video=youtube;gy5-X-shRRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy5-X-shRRE[/video]

Just seeing posts and pictures on this elsewhere. Appears to be true. Payload also lost, though I didn't think it was for facebook?

The pictures I have seen appear to show the rocket itself still standing on the pad. But news reports indicate vehicle and payload a loss. On a positive note, there were no reported injuries.

SpaceX statement confirms there was an anomaly at the pad and the vehicle and payload were destroyed.

Searching around before this, I saw one news story that said there was a giant explosion and the rocket was destroyed, but there was no word on the payload. :facepalm: I guess now we have confirmation they're not going to be able to go grab it with a forklift, dust it off and use it again.

Certainly is getting exciting now...

Don't feel bad for Musk...

He is one of the worlds biggest...

Welfare queens and would be...

Nothing if not for the taxpayers...

Just seeing posts and pictures on this elsewhere. Appears to be true. Payload also lost, though I didn't think it was for facebook?

It is/was a communications satellite for an Israeli company that was intended to provide service, including internet access, to the middle east and north Africa. Facebook and a couple others were minor funding partners.

This was a new-build F9, right, not a reconditioned one from earlier this year? I wonder what impact this will have on overall launch schedule or if they'll be grounded.

Early reports suggest this was a reused booster, it that true?

No. It was a new booster. First reused booster is (was) slated for flight sometime in October.

Payload is a loss according to reports I've seen. Facebook is going nuts on the space groups.

Last edited:
It is/was a communications satellite for an Israeli company that was intended to provide service, including internet access, to the middle east and north Africa. Facebook and a couple others were minor funding partners.

Yeah I thought it was an Israeli satellite...thank you for the clarification. Sad day.

Early reports suggest this was a reused booster, it that true?

I'm pretty sure that this WAS a new booster. The customer for the used one was just announced but a launch date had not been set other than "probably sometime in November."

SpaceX official statement says:

SpaceX can confirm that in preparation today's standard pre-launch static fire test, there was an anomaly on the pad resulting in the loss of the vehicle and its payload. Per standard procedure, the pad was clear and there were no injuries.

The interesting thing to me is that according to this the explosion seems to have happened *before* the static fire test. Which makes me curious, what would make it go "BOOM" during prep? A leak and a spark during fueling maybe?

The interesting thing to me is that according to this the explosion seems to have happened *before* the static fire test. Which makes me curious, what would make it go "BOOM" during prep? A leak and a spark during fueling maybe?

I had been hearing stuff like that too. If it is not a booster or fuel loading issue, the future impacts will hopefully be less.

Nevertheless, future impacts are going to happen now I'm sure.

Back