SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put the silo on the Barge, and use a couple barges if you have to, as anything is cheaper then destroying the rocket nearly every time.
Isn't the purpose supposed to be to not damage the rocket so you can re-use it to save money?
Looks to me like they are just wasting a lot of money.
Getting rid of the Hydraulics and nonsensical stuff that control the Legs would mean you can lift more payload.

Yeah, but a) how do you get a silo on a barge, b) how do you hit a silo when both the rocket and the silo are moving and being buffeted by the wind, c) how do you keep the "braking system" or "airbag system" or whatever from being incinerated by the rocket, d) how do you keep the rocket from being incinerated by the rocket as all the flames and hot gases reflect back out of the silo, and e) that's just for starters.

Remember that when automobiles were first being produced in large numbers (and even as mass production began) only mechanics drove them because the average distance you could drive between breakdowns was around 20 or 30 miles. This is new. They're learning. They're adapting. They're getting better every time.

After all, these ARE rocket scientists...

That's why I expect better results from them.

You'll get them.

Surely you've seen footage from the early days of NASA, in the 60's, blowing up rocket after rocket. People watching this (and astronauts especially) were wondering, "Are these guys EVER going to get it right?"

Eventually they abandoned the entire program and now we've got nothing, but for a few minutes they actually did have it right and got good results.

And yet they're still very much human. Do you really expect that something as complex as this is likely to work perfectly at first? You can only do so much with computers and simulation. Trial and error is key. With every failed landing comes a wealth of data to help engineers improve the landing system. It may be a while yet before we see landings with some level of reliability, but I guarantee you it's bound to happen.

Just put the silo on the Barge, and use a couple barges if you have to, as anything is cheaper then destroying the rocket nearly every time.
Isn't the purpose supposed to be to not damage the rocket so you can re-use it to save money?
Looks to me like they are just wasting a lot of money.
Getting rid of the Hydraulics and nonsensical stuff that control the Legs would mean you can lift more payload.

They can obviously make pin point precision landings, so that's great, but the problems start when those damned legs come out and they are supposed to balance the rocket when it hit the ground.

Does not seem like you've really been following the details of the landing attempts.

The only time that "the legs" were at fault, was the Jason-3 landing when it landed safely on the barge.... but one leg did not lock out properly, allowing the rocket to fall over. The cause was attributed to ice jamming the latch that was supposed to lock the leg (Presumably they have made mods to solve that. It was very foggy at VAFB before that launch, allowing more moisture to condense as ice than before).

Crashes before that were due to other specific problems that the rocket had, grid fins going dead due to running out of hydraulic fluid early, which left the rocket too far to one side to safely maneuver to land on the deck, a sticky fuel valve that screwed up the thrust levels and maneuvering performance (landed on deck but maneuvering complications from the sticky valve had caused it to swing from one side so as it landed it over-stressed and broke a leg), and then that time last December when the Falcon booster had no on-board mechanical problems and it landed safely.... which coincidentally happened to be the "RTLS" flight to land back at the Cape.

So many have the false assumption that the only successful landing was successful because it landed on "solid ground, and the other failures were due to "the barge". When the truth is that the other failures were due to onboard rocket problems, and WHERE it tried to land was irrelevant.

I do not get why you think the legs are causing problems with landing accuracy. And the last flight, they were trying a pretty much Hail Mary landing procedure, coming in way faster than ever and something went wrong with that attempt so it hit at high speed and not dead center. So I do not get where you think that backing down inside of a "silo" would have worked for an attempt like that (or any landing really).... it would have hit the edge of a silo at 100 mph or more, or missed the silo entirely.

Also for the heck of it let's say you were in charge of the Falcon landing program, and you used a silo for it to land inside of. So...... the rocket has no legs..... when it landed inside the silo, what structure would support it from the bottom when it lands, if it does not have legs? Land on the engine nozzles? Have mechanical arms inside the silo that pivot inwards to grab hold of the tank.... and therefore CRUSH the rocket tanks like a beer can?

Of course others have suggested things like landing on a net.... again ignoring the structural rocket issues with landing in a net, as though the rocket is a hundred times stronger than it is.

- George Gassaway

From SpaceX Thursday April 7th:

Of Course I Still Love You out to sea for tomorrow
https://www.instagram.com/p/BD62eVCl8QF/

Image below is cropped and enlarged

kj029qN.jpg

You are watching a technology development program in progress. This in many respects is not quite ready so your expectations are a little unrealistic. There are an incredible number of variables and systems in play, and they all have to work correctly for this to work. Some time and some patience will likely see this become successful- mostly.

I want them to stick the landing, and I think one of these days they will.

Has there been any news on the inspection and testing of the landed booster?

Thanks George. That does seem odd, especially with Elon's well known proclivity for trying to do this better and cheaper. Although... it may well be that building all the rockets in one factory and shipping them is more economical than building multiple factories with lower production rates.

Despite the absurd S/H charges [YOUR FAVORITE ROCKETRY VENDOR] likes to levy on you, it's actually not that expensive in the grand scheme of things to haul a rocket stage on a road trip with you. At least not enough to make a huge difference in the bottom line. Now as far as property taxes and wages go...you may a more interesting argument.

10 minutes to launch

LAUNCHED.

Reached Max-Q, OCISLY has AOS (Acquisition of Signal).

Staged, 2nd stage firing.

Stage 1 beginning its flip. Dragon shrouds separated

Stage 1 BoostBack burn begun. And done. On track for OCISLY about 180 miles downrange.

Re-entry Burn beginning. And done.

Landing burn begun!

YEAH MADE IT!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
that was awesome sitting here watching it with my 5 year old so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO incredible to watch live, and so stunning to see a rocket sitting there on a boat, upright. Really amazing accomplishment, and beautiful footage from SpaceX. Awesome to have the multirotor video live!

Back