SpaceX Falcon 9 historic landing thread (1st landing attempt & most recent missions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, not sure if it was the weather or maybe trouble arming the FTS? They were up on those cherry pickers fiddling with it for a long time.

So, they may try again Tuesday. Pretty windy though, 20 mph. Sort of puzzled they would have tried Monday given the cloud cover. Clouds an issue for most of the week (50% or more)

Here is a good chunk of info on how the FAA inspector thing occurred:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=53270.msg2212823#msg2212823
"Here’s how the Starship/FAA-inspector thing went down, according to a person familiar: The inspector was in Boca last week, waiting for SpaceX to fly. It didn't, and he was told SpaceX would not fly Monday (today) or possibly all of this week bc it couldn’t get road closures.

So he went home to Fla. On Sunday, SpaceX was able to get road closures and they emailed the inspector to come back. But he didn’t see the email. Finally SpaceX got through to officials on the phone late Sunday night, but by then it was too late to get someone there by today.

In an attempt to be more efficient, the FAA has been waiting for SpaceX to complete a static fire, before sending the inspector so that he isn’t just waiting around.

But it’s a fast-moving test program, and they’re swapping out engines and making changes on the fly. And so the FAA put in its statement that SpaceX “must provide adequate notice of its launch schedule.”

T minus 13 minutes.

It's crazy to me that they're likely to launch, there's so much fog you can barely see the rocket on the pad. Since this is a test launch I'd think they'd want visibility to study and learn from in case of either failure or success.

But as usual, they didn't ask my permission so they can do whatever they want. :)

Disappointing, but I'm excited that the next flight will be SN15, which has tons of improvements. Admittedly I don't know if those improvements will be visible to us.

Well, it exploded on engine restart for the flip manuveur, so it wasn't "way high up". 500 - 1000 feet maybe?

On the video feed from Space X showing the engine view you can hear the BOOM! on audio a little after the video froze.
Wonder if Space X will rethink launching under pea soup conditions. I imagine analysis of what went wrong will depend 100% on telemetry with no good videos.
Notice how the Space X spox said "another exciting test" and "another interesting flight" after the explosion?
No mention of "blew up" or even "an anomaly".
Well, I gotta go and mow the yard.
Er, I mean "enhance the landscape".
😁

Last edited:
Apparently it blew up in mid-air shortly after engine re-ignition. Lightweight debris drifted a LONG way. I won't be surprised if there are more FAA safety issues as a result.

Is it too early to laugh and pretend that 4 failures in a row, with a massive mid-air explosion, is not a setback?

Sorry, I got really "ticked" when within a couple of minutes of the explosion, one of the "expert commentators" on NASAspacelfight talked about the "awesome" explosion. Freaking idiot (and I do not mean freaking).

Last edited:
Just before the video froze you can see a split second of an engine lighting up. Spox says "We've just passed through 1 kilometer altitude, getting ready for the relay". whatever that means. On the audio you can hear the engines burning for a couple of seconds then Boom! and silence.

Ironically, the fog went away afterwards, a very clear sunny day. A peice of debris where it say "CH4 tanks" in the banner.
index.php

There is a "Debris Hotline". Actually, two, it seems:
https://www.cameroncounty.us/spacex-debris-hotline/https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacex/2015/06/29/spacex-debris-recovery-hotline/
This aerial view. It's like it peeled along one side as it blew & landed in peeled form. Well, the middle and upper part, rear portion gone.

ExwXH5iXIAINgAq

I know we tend to make a lot of flip remarks about all this, but I'm pretty bummed over this. It might indicate a new problem/failure mode. I just hope they got enough data to sort it out. It's the first "Raptor go boom" on relight ever, right?

Back