Space junk (likely from ISS) impacts Florida house

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe, when they jettison something like that pallet, it should have a very small retro rocket, plus a heat activated stick of dynamite to make smaller pieces once it's re-entering the atmosphere and not a source of orbital space junk. Ok, I'm sure they have something relatively safe that gives more bang per pound than dynamite, but same idea.

Falling batteries from space sure beats falling blue ice.

Maybe NASA will start pushing crates of freeze-dried astronaut poop overboard, and some lucky schmuck will get bonked by a flaming space turd.

Oh, look! A shooting star!

When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Any crap NASA retires
Will fall on you

Like a bolt out of the blue
Batteries and bags of poo
When you wish upon a star
They land on you

Last edited:
"Falling space debris has never killed anyone. According to ESA, the annual risk of an individual human being injured by space debris is less than 1 in 100 billion."
Unless you're the main character in the TV show "Dead Like Me"

I don't think anyone has ever been killed by a meteorite either, although there has been property damage.
Your chances of being individually killed by something from outer space are pretty small. However, your chances of being killed as part of a mass-extinction event by something from outer space are much much higher. And yet we are doing nothing about it.

What did you have in mind?
I recall reading an article saying that there are less paid workers searching for Near Earth Objects than staff your average McDonalds. This is critical infrastructure. And there should be a worldwide effort to have more folks doing this type of work. And it should be funded by the U.N. or there needs to be some worldwide organization, like NATO, that specifically is tasked with dealing with this.

The more we KNOW about what dangers are out there, the more time we have to prepare a response. We've spent trillions of dollars over 50 years preparing for WWIII, can't we spend a few Billion over the next 100 years to make sure we aren't going to be wiped out by an errant chunk of rock?

The more we KNOW about what dangers are out there, the more time we have to prepare a response. We've spent trillions of dollars over 50 years preparing for WWIII, can't we spend a few Billion over the next 100 years to make sure we aren't going to be wiped out by an errant chunk of rock?

What exactly would a response entail? It's coming or not. We aren't going to stop it.

I worry more about hardening our grid against a major solar event, which is something we could, in theory, actually do to some extent.

Back