Some Questions About open rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuhuck

Reaction score
Hi, I'm gonna ask you a few questions about Openrocket

1-How is the shock cord passed under the useful load?

2-How does Payload fall apart from the rocket?

3-Can you link to a detailed video or forum about open rocket?

Sounds like you want to model decent of a payload that separates presumably at apogee. It’s not something OR is specifically designed to do. I would think this would be possible by making the payload as a seperate stage (without a motor) and then timing staging to apogee (I’m not ceartain there is a setting for apogee but you should be able to manually set an appropriate delay). Im curious as to if there a specific reason you want to model this in OR, such as decent rate and drift?

As for question 1 I’m not sure what you are getting at. The shock cord part in OR does not perform any functional role other than add mass to the model. As such it’s completely optional.

I’m not aware of any videos on using OR. The best place to find out about its usage is right here on TRF.

This year's TARC competition rules have the egg section falling separately from the fin can, so teams have to do basically what the OP is asking here. I don't know if that's exactly what he's looking for though.

Got a chance to try this out, basically do the following:

1. Add a new stage, name it Payload and make sure it is at the top.
2. Drag the parts of the rocket that are the payload to the the payload stage. If you overrode the stage weight / CG you will need to make changes to the override.
3. If the payload stage has a body tube, edit the body tube component. On the Motor tab just make sure that the check box labeled “This is a motor mount” is not checked. This ensures that the payload stage does not require a motor.
4. Go to the “Motors and Configuration” tab. If you don’t already have a configuration then create one and select a motor as per normal.
5. Go to the Recovery tab for your configuration and set both chutes deploy at apogee.
6. Go to the Stages tab for your configuration and set the separation event to “Launch” the set the number of seconds to however long it takes to get to apogee (may need to tweak this after running a sim).

Then you can run your simulation and plot the results, you should see during decent that 2 seperate altitudes are shown.

Update - corrected staging event instructions.

Last edited:

2. Drag the parts of the rocket that are the payload to the the payload stage. If you overrode the stage weight / CG you will need to make changes to the override.
3. If the payload stage has a body tube, edit the body tube component. On the Motor tab just make sure that the check box labeled “This is a motor mount” is not checked. This ensures that the payload stage does not require a motor.
4. Go to the “Motors and Configuration” tab. If you don’t already have a configuration then create one and select a motor as per normal.
5. Go to the Recovery tab for your configuration and set both chutes deploy at apogee.
6. Go to the Stages tab for your configuration and set the separation event to “Launch” the set the number of seconds to however long it takes to get to apogee (may need to tweak this after running a sim).

Then you can run your simulation and plot the results, you should see during decent that 2 seperate altitudes are shown.

I have a little problem related to this issue.I get an error. I tried it many times but the simulation does not happen.What is the solution, what should I do?.Thank you

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 3JPG.JPG
    3JPG.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 47

Where are three parachutes ? why i can't see? please help

I’ve no idea what’s wrong. You will have to post the simulation file for us to see.

Back