Soldering Iron Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW...I've had a couple of soldering irons where the tip was nothing more than a length of solid copper wire (8-12 ga) that had been filed to a point. If one's soldering iron can accept copper wire as a tip, it could easily be filed to whatever shape is desired.

I use an old school Weller, '70s or '80s vintage. I probably should spring for something with better tmprature control, but I'm used to this and do OK with it.
IMG_20231026_191814.jpg
One thing I consider essential is temperature control. Not control of the power, the temperature. Mine only allows selection of temperature in 100 degree increments, but it's still the temp being controlled. (It's a really nifty, clever system for what it does, even if what it does is a little crude.)

Budget kept me from getting the digital version. And 15w is what Eggtimer recommends. That said, if I can’t get the tips to work, I may return it and get the digital version. :) But then I am probably asking for a bigger slap from the wife!
Wattage is one thing, temp is another. A bigger tip will need more juice to heat it up, a smaller tip less.

I asked Chris what temp to use and he said start at 680 degrees and go up or down by 20 degree increments until the solder flows correctly. There is really no substitute for a digital readout of the temp. You also need the right tip because the parts are small. This one works the best for my Weller: https://www.mcmaster.com/7008A45/ - 1/32" tip. Since I've gotten this tip and the right temp, I bork the build a lot less.

I've been using a Hakko at home for the past 10 years, and that's all they use at work.

(I'm a IPC Certified wiring harness assembler, for whatever that's worth.)

And yes, Hakko is the most counterfeited brand, so beware.

The Hakko FX-888D has been the bread & butter starter station for years, is that what you got? Mine sees heavy use.

However, be aware this is one of the most counterfeited tools in the industry. Make sure you have the real deal.
Weller's are ok, but.... I love my Hakko FX-888D! I've had both and to me the Hakko is better.

Back