Solar Sailer II upscale 2" dia

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggoldy

Reaction score
I picked this project to utilize a 28", 38mm Contrail hybrid case I've had for a couple years and never used. Tall and slender, it seemed the perfect vehicle. My original Estes Solar Sailer bit the dust many years ago. The wife gave me a Hawks Hobbies upscale version along with their Sprite upscale a few years back, so I used this 29mm model as my insperation. Both still fly great, but I needed a long, slender, rocket with a 38mm motor mount. So here it is, my 'Really Big Solar Sailer II', with redundent duel depoly. I feel better with two of everything, from batteries to ejection charges. I did not include the electronics in the Rocksim file but DID adjust for their weight. It's flown at SEARS572 on both H and I Aerotech reloads and in the near future on the Contrail. Maybe even with decals.:D

Gary

Pretty cool! I've always like the Solar Sailer and thought it would
be a good hybrid candidate. I might have to add this to my
build list!

Thanks for the RockSIM file.

Thanks Brianc,
Hmmm, you're L2...And tra...3" or 4" version? :eyepop:

Thanks Brianc,
Hmmm, you're L2...And tra...3" or 4" version? :eyepop:

LOL! I've actually made a BT-5 downscale before-
https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?p=211002#post211002

What caught my attention was your mention of a 38mm MMT.
I immediately thought that'll work for my SkyRipper 38/580 case
(~37 inch length).

I then followed up with- I wonder what that would scale to with
a 54mm mount? :D

Might have to go that big, just to fit the rail between the fins!

Last edited:
Bunnel Blast!!! NEFAR, That's where I know you from! 3 or 4 years ago, I took a weekend trip that way. Long drive but worth it. I felt welcome. Thanks.

Gary

I built one of these a while ago... I love the rocket. I used a LOC 38mm tube for the main airframe, 29mm tube for the reduced section, and a 24mm motor mount (so similar in size to yours.)

One of my favorite launch photos in my collection is that rocket on an OOP SU AT F motor.

October05027_edited.jpg

EDIT:

Correction, it's a BT60 main airframe, not LOC 38mm. All the other data is right, though.

Last edited:
I don't know why I didn't see these last two posts earlier. Sorry guys. Pictures are great! I won't make it to this months SEARS launch(tomorrow) but maybe next month. HYBRID!!! And some pics.

Gary

Back