Solar Controller Battery Terminal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CenturiKid

Reaction score
I'm trying to restore an Estes Solar Controller that had some very bad corrosion in it. When I tried to remove one of the forward battery clips, it snapped in half, and there was so much corrosion/rust it's not repairable. Does anyone know if these types of clips are available? Has anyone run into this before...and if so; how did your repair? Thanks!

The part that was damaged is "Steel Contact BC-3" in the manual. I can't get my camera to focus to snap a picture.

If I were trying to do this I think I'd be making a replacement part from sheet brass from the K&S rack at the hobby shop.....

My Solar controller had a similar problem, but fortunately not to that degree....

Thanks BEC. I might try that- i wonder how well the brass will hold the shape? I was hoping to salvage the contact but it was just too rusted. The plastics are in great shape; but this one must have been in a damp place because all the steel was very rusted. The rest I was able to save- this contact was by far in the worst condition.

Turns out that the plastic where the contacts mounted was cracked as well. There is no way that it could support the pressure of the AAs. I was about to put this controller into the parts bin, but then I had an idea. A 9v battery fit in the battery space; and I had some spare 9v snap connectors. I wired this up and swapped out the light bulb for an LED. I know the 9v isn't ideal for ignitors, but now the controller is usable and will live on to launch again. I'm really happy it was able to be salvaged!

Sounds good. The 9V battery will work - that's what the little Quest launch controller uses - just don't expect too many launches per battery.

Back