So Who is Going to Spaceport America Cup 2022?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump.

Just over a week till I fly out. If anyone is interested in saying "Hi" up while I am there you can drop me a PM here, or come and find the University of Sydney team at SA Cup. Might be a good chance to put some faces on names.

My team had some failures on their test launch. They had a high speed drogue deployment which shredded and the main never deployed. After picking up all the pieces, they decided that rather than doing a rush rebuild they would try to determine the causes of all the failures so they withdrew from competition.

Just returned from SAC (along with Covid).
Thanks for your assistance out at the solid pads Joe, I understand you also got Covid.

The Kosmos Rocketry team from Santa Catarina Brazil needed a mentor/Flyer of Record and this year Tripoli required that person to be level certified for the motor impulse being used so after 63 years of flying rockets, I got my L-3 last month. Needless to say, we could have made 15 of their N-impulse 'sugar' motor reloads they used for the price of the one commercial APCP reload I burned up to get the cert.

Their motor was a six-grain potassium nitrate-sorbitol KNSB N-impulse with a reusable steel nozzle (now allowed by Tripoli) and performed flawlessly. Near motor burnout one of the fins delaminated causing the rocket to break apart though most of the rocket was recovered. This being their first year, they plan on returning next year.

Thanks for your assistance out at the solid pads Joe, I understand you also got Covid.

The Kosmos Rocketry team from Santa Catarina Brazil needed a mentor/Flyer of Record and this year Tripoli required that person to be level certified for the motor impulse being used so after 63 years of flying rockets, I got my L-3 last month. Needless to say, we could have made 15 of their N-impulse 'sugar' motor reloads they used for the price of the one commercial APCP reload I burned up to get the cert.

Their motor was a six-grain potassium nitrate-sorbitol KNSB N-impulse with a reusable steel nozzle (now allowed by Tripoli) and performed flawlessly. Near motor burnout one of the fins delaminated causing the rocket to break apart though most of the rocket was recovered. This being their first year, they plan on returning next year.

Join the COVID crowd. I became symptomatic after exposure. I never tested positive there, but I had COVID and avoided people Friday-Saturday. I appreciated the gift but chose not to share it.

Yes, I'm writing this from bed... Saturday it seemed like I was just exhausted from the week; bailed early from cleanup and didn't go to the awards ceremony (so I didn't know about that mess until I read about it in yesterday's newspaper). Kept feeling worse, and finally found out it was covid on Tuesday. Looks like a light case, all like a bad cold. Hope you're is ok too...
Helping at the pads was fun! Glad I could do it.

Yes, I'm writing this from bed... Saturday it seemed like I was just exhausted from the week; bailed early from cleanup and didn't go to the awards ceremony (so I didn't know about that mess until I read about it in yesterday's newspaper). Kept feeling worse, and finally found out it was covid on Tuesday. Looks like a light case, all like a bad cold. Hope you're is ok too...
I would recommend even those with negative tests to treat all cold-like illnesses like COVID. We had a recent meeting with 31 people in a room. One person went to the meeting with cold-like symptoms after testing negative for COVID. Unfortunately, they tested positive 2 days later. Twenty-two of 31 came down with symptoms consistent with COVID (including patient zero). Of the 22, seven never tested positive.

Just be careful.

Sorry to hear you and others also got Covid, hopefully, no one dies from it as that would be a real bummer. And again, thank you, Bill, Keith, and others for assisting me with the students at the solid pads...lots of work but well worth doing.

Joe assisting my Brazil team with rocket raise.
Joe with Brazil team.png

Before we got a PA system at FAR that worked through our radios, I would shout out things (Go to Bunkers, What motor was being tested or flown, Countdown, etc.) and typically if it were a two-day thing in the summer I would get horse and start to lose my voice and get a sore throat. Students doing liquid biprop motors would be up all night prepping and I would be up with them often getting little of no sleep so by Saturday out at Spaceport I was feeling like I usually do out at FAR after a two or three-day thing, maybe a little more exhausted. It wasn't until passing through Phoenix on the way home that I started having difficulty breathing, joint and headache, and started wondering if I had caught Covid.

Six hours later before getting home I thought I should stop at the hospital to get checked and if I had it, not give it to my wife. They had me mask up and sit in a big tent outside with other people wanting to see a doctor for various things. My nose was now running like a faucet, had a 102 fever, was very difficult to breathe with the mask, and felt worse sitting in the hot stifling tent. I kept bringing my chair outside the tent and away from people and they kept coming out saying I had to get back in and put my mask on. After several hours of doing this back and forth, they allowed me to sit out in the parking lot where I stripped down to my skivvies to make myself comfortable. It had been 100 out that day and the tent didn't allow the temp inside to cool down or any breeze. Somewhere around 1 am after a chest x-ray they released me. I slept outside in my sleeping bag that night and am now sequestered in the master bedroom/bath with my wife bringing me food at an outside door. I've been watching old episodes of the Fugitive on youtube.

Not enjoying having Covid but getting better and had thought after over two years of nonstop working with students and launching rockets out at FAR that I would eventually catch it. Knowing what I now know, I would have still gone but chosen to wear a mask, and gloves when doing safety checks and maybe put off catching it to a later time. Saturday will be my first time missing FAR this year and canceled a launch a team of mine was doing.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you and others also got Covid, hopefully, no one dies from it as that would be a real bummer. And again, thank you, Bill, Keith, and others for assisting me with the students at the solid pads...lots of work but well worth doing.

Joe assisting my Brazil team with rocket raise.
View attachment 525090

Before we got a PA system at FAR that worked through our radios, I would shout out things (Go to Bunkers, What motor was being tested or flown, Countdown, etc.) and typically if it were a two-day thing in the summer I would get horse and start to lose my voice and get a sore throat. Students doing liquid biprop motors would be up all night prepping and I would be up with them often getting little of no sleep so by Saturday out at Spaceport I was feeling like I usually do out at FAR after a two or three-day thing, maybe a little more exhausted. It wasn't until passing through Phoenix on the way home that I started having difficulty breathing, joint and headache, and started wondering if I had caught Covid.

Six hours later before getting home I thought I should stop at the hospital to get checked and if I had it, not give it to my wife. They had me mask up and sit in a big tent outside with other people wanting to see a doctor for various things. My nose was now running like a faucet, had a 102 fever, was very difficult to breathe with the mask, and felt worse sitting in the hot stifling tent. I kept bringing my chair outside the tent and away from people and they kept coming out saying I had to get back in and put my mask on. After several hours of doing this back and forth, they allowed me to sit out in the parking lot where I stripped down to my skivvies to make myself comfortable. It had been 100 out that day and the tent didn't allow the temp inside to cool down or any breeze. Somewhere around 1 am after a chest x-ray they released me. I slept outside in my sleeping bag that night and am now sequestered in the master bedroom/bath with my wife bringing me food at an outside door. I've been watching old episodes of the Fugitive on youtube.

Not enjoying having Covid but getting better and had thought after over two years of nonstop working with students and launching rockets out at FAR that I would eventually catch it. Knowing what I now know, I would have still gone but chosen to wear a mask, and gloves when doing safety checks and maybe put off catching it to a later time. Saturday will be my first time missing FAR this year and canceled a launch a team of mine was doing.

It is hard to avoid. I have had it three times now. I am one of the most careful people, but it is terribly infectious. The first time almost put me in the hospital, but the other two were mild. Thank goodness for vaccinations.

Hopefully, you fully recover.

I would recommend even those with negative tests to treat all cold-like illnesses like COVID. We had a recent meeting with 31 people in a room. One person went to the meeting with cold-like symptoms after testing negative for COVID. Unfortunately, they tested positive 2 days later. Twenty-two of 31 came down with symptoms consistent with COVID (including patient zero). Of the 22, seven never tested positive.

Just be careful.

Not related to this event, so please delete if not appropriate, but over the past 6 weeks I have been involved in situations like you mention; 12 people in close proximity, nobody felt bad, next thing you know a few days later 9 are sick and 6 test positive. Next round was 7 people and 5 sick, 4 positive.

I've had a mild fever this week and worked remotely just in case. 5 years ago, I would have maybe stayed home one day thinking allergies and worked at the desk the rest of the week.

I hope most that attended the event are either not positive or have minimal symptoms and isolate to help those who they might come in contact with otherwise. Sounds like a great event otherwise!

Sandy.

Back