Spectating at the Spaceport America Cup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehemi

Reaction score
Is the Spaceport America Cup a spectator friendly event? My teen is heavily into HPR and would love to check out the rockets.

Assuming it's spectator friendly, any information on what we can expect, or suggestions on what we should make sure to do?

Thanks,
Scott

There were spectators there last year. Expect it to be hot. Several people ended up in the hospital tent with dehydration-related problems. No lasting issues from that I believe. Take water, sunscreen, hats, shade tent and chairs. Did I mention it gets really hot? Also the very low humidity will quickly dry you out. Keep drinking water.

The launch site is a long way from any towns so a campervan might make for a more enjoyable experience.

The earlier days in Las Cruces were more civilised. I would suggest attending the event at the convention center where all the teams show off their rockets. Anyone into HPR will be drooling over the hardware, and talking with the teams can lead to really interesting conversations.

You can probably talk with the teams as they prep their rockets out at the Launch Area, but please understand that there will be times they don't need distractions.

There will be quite a few cool flights over the launch days to see 🙂.

I seem to remember that there might have been a document with information on the event for spectators. Enquire with IREC, or see what Google can find on it.

I wish I was going again this year, but yearly for me is not sustainable unfortunately.
20220621_092654.jpg
20220621_092855.jpg
20220623_061210.jpg

If you are in Albuquerque you should visit the Museum of Nuclear Science and History. Totally awesome to see.

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback. I will check with IREC for spectator information.

Seeing the rockets showcased at the convention center would be awesome!

Thanks,
Scott

I appreciate the feedback. I will check with IREC for spectator information.

Seeing the rockets showcased at the convention center would be awesome!

Thanks,
Scott
Yea, the convention center event would be awesome and good chance to talk with them about their rocket.
We have a number of university teams come to MDRA launches but since they are tring to get their rocket ready to go they are busy so no time to talk plus it is a distraction. I always do check each teams rockets.

Back