So then how do I get motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Zyzzyva100

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I have been out of rocketry for a few years due to the craziness of the end of high school and my first year in college. I had previously built a few big rockets that flew on F and G motors, but nothing bigger. Then when I was home over a break I discovered a high power kit that I bought and never built.

Now after getting back to reading some rocket sites online, it seems that it will be impossible for me to buy any engines without an LEUP? I mean, the sport is fun, and I would go through the paperwork to get it, but I live in a dorm, and there is no way they would ok that for storage. All I want to be able to do is buy the motors as close to the launch as possible and use them. Is there any way for me to do this now, or will I just have to wait until john ashcroft is gone.
 

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Joined
Jul 12, 2001
Messages
1,778
Reaction score
0
Most launches have an onsite vendor. Best way to do it is to buy it and use the motors on site.
 

Zyzzyva100

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Yea, thats what I figured I would have to do. I guess I will have to find out if the local club has vendors on location for launches.
 

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Joined
Jul 12, 2001
Messages
1,778
Reaction score
0
Z, I should also mention that to buy anything larger than a G you will have to go through one of the governing body's certification program. I don't know about others but NAR and Tripoli is fairly easy. To fly H-I impulse all you need to do is build a level 1 bird, then at the launch you can buy only 1 motor to use at a time. Once you successfully launch, recover and have your rocket inspected, you can have your paperwork filled out and buy more motors. Then it is time to set your eyes on level 2. :D

Oh, BTW, you have to join NAR or Tripoli to make this happen. You can do that at the launch site as well. Just make sure you contact the prefects at the site to make sure they have the proper certification paperwork.

And the final step is to post all your pictures (build and launch) here for all to see.... :)
 

Zyzzyva100

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by PGerringer
Z, I should also mention that to buy anything larger than a G you will have to go through one of the governing body's certification program. I don't know about others but NAR and Tripoli is fairly easy. To fly H-I impulse all you need to do is build a level 1 bird, then at the launch you can buy only 1 motor to use at a time. Once you successfully launch, recover and have your rocket inspected, you can have your paperwork filled out and buy more motors. Then it is time to set your eyes on level 2. :D

Oh, BTW, you have to join NAR or Tripoli to make this happen. You can do that at the launch site as well. Just make sure you contact the prefects at the site to make sure they have the proper certification paperwork.

And the final step is to post all your pictures (build and launch) here for all to see.... :)
Yea, I guess I was getting a little ahead of myself. I know about the different certs. Im a member of NAR. Right now I'm just waiting for next next NE Ohio launch. Hopefully I can recover at least some pictures, I took all my pictures with my digital slr, and then manage to corupt my CF card by putting it into my axim and trying to write to it without realizing I had pictures on it.
 

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Joined
Jul 12, 2001
Messages
1,778
Reaction score
0
Oooo, whacked your pictures. That's ugly. Well, to make Guido and Luigi happy you must have pictures of your next launch. :)
 

Mike

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
1,330
Reaction score
0
I thought they were called Tony and Vinny :confused:
 

MarkABrown

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2001
Messages
1,077
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by Mike
I thought they were called Tony and Vinny :confused:
It's a service... kinda like an escort service but not as pretty. ;)
 

Ryan S.

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
0
as to the heading of this post you could always steal motors ;) or make them ;)

but one important four letter word you need to know to get motors: Cash
 

Zyzzyva100

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2003
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Ryan S.
as to the heading of this post you could always steal motors ;) or make them ;)

but one important four letter word you need to know to get motors: Cash
Even though I'm a poor college student, cash is one thing i can still do.
 

eugenefl

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
4,375
Reaction score
10
Originally posted by n3tjm
Easy Access reloads currently do not require a LEUP. Try Magnum Hobbies.
Can anyone else comment on this assessment? I have been trying like crazy to sift through the internet to find information that corroborates Doug's claim. I can't say for certain that Doug is correct or incorrect, but I personally would like a leg to stand on so that I am justified in making a purchase legally.

Taken from one of ROL's member posts: "Easy Access still exists and will until NPRM 968 goes through (probably sometime next year). They haven't responded to the flood of comments yet as required by law. Some dealers have gone into CYA mode and require LEUPs for easy access, others haven't. You may need to pay hazmat fees if your dealer is one going CYA. Stock up now before NPRM 968 becomes the new regulation."

This comment and one's like Doug's are confusing me. (Doug, this is not a flame by any means. I am just seeking clarification or other's input.) Is this an interpretation or is it fact? I was under the impression that after May 24 the law was anying <62.5g did not require an LEUP. I thought anything beyond or >62.5g required paperwork. Personally, I want to believe that Doug is correct here. I really would like to purchase my first set of HPR casings and reloads.

Anyone else care to comment? Better yet, send me to the source and I would be happy to interpret the law for myself. ;)
 

shockwaveriderz

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 25, 2002
Messages
2,472
Reaction score
1
I can kinda confirm it.... I know of several companies that do not require an LEUP for Aerotech so-called Easy Access type reloads....

I beleive Magnum is one, Al's Hobby is another...you may have to pay HAZMAT shipping charges....

There are others that will not sell you Aerotech Easy Access without an LEUP...
Performance Hobbies is one, Countdown Hobbies is another

It helps if the people selling know you...SO expend a little effort and call them, talk to them, introduce yourself,etc... Pick up the telephone and call the vendor of your choice and ask their policy.... or email them too... thats what I did..

Until the NAR/TRA lose the Lawsuit against the BATFE AND/OR NPRM 968 becomes law( which it isn't yet, and you can bet the NAR/TRA will file a lawsuit over that too!), we are in a gray twilight kinda status quo where Aerotech Easy Access are legal. SOme vendors do not see it that way. Why? Because the BATfe regional offices are interpreting the law in different ways around the country. This is one reason the original lawsuit was filed in the beginning... the right hand of the BAtfe doesn't know what the left hand of the BAtfe is doing...

I would assume that those companies that are selling Easy Access without an LEUP have talked to their local BATFE people and got their interpretion, hence they are selling without an LEUP. I can only assume the opposite is true for those vendors who are requiring an LEUP for EAsy Access...

As far as May 24th and the HSA/SEA act....all it did was require a instate LEUP for purchase, storage and transportation of explosives IN state.... Prior to this a LEUP was only required for explosives purchases out of state or if you were transporting explosive interstate....


thats my take on the current state of affairs...
 

Tedman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
517
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Zyzzyva100
I have been out of rocketry for a few years due to the craziness of the end of high school and my first year in college. I had previously built a few big rockets that flew on F and G motors, but nothing bigger. Then when I was home over a break I discovered a high power kit that I bought and never built.

Now after getting back to reading some rocket sites online, it seems that it will be impossible for me to buy any engines without an LEUP? I mean, the sport is fun, and I would go through the paperwork to get it, but I live in a dorm, and there is no way they would ok that for storage. All I want to be able to do is buy the motors as close to the launch as possible and use them. Is there any way for me to do this now, or will I just have to wait until john ashcroft is gone.
Not totally threads digging but would like to mention that the person i quoted is the last person alphabetically by member name.

Thats pretty cool last in over 3000 people
 
Top