So the "estes scion" ..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vethen

Rocketry Obsessed
Reaction score
So this rocket is just the estes leviathan with some modification. I tried finding an openrocket file for it, and believe I found a decent one. I was curious, if there is any effects from having the fins swept forward instead of the traditional backwards?

Also, is there any point in using all four fins that come in the package? In openrocket it moves the CoP further back (as expected) which means I could make a heavier fin section for more durability.

Thoughts, opinions?

It is similar. You could build one from the Scion and an extra tube.

I'm particularly interesting in building the scion as a scion, slight modification to the recovery system, and I'm debating if I should use the fourth fin.. I'd have to cut my own tube slots so that wouldn't be a problem. Over stable?

I'm particularly interesting in building the scion as a scion, slight modification to the recovery system, and I'm debating if I should use the fourth fin.. I'd have to cut my own tube slots so that wouldn't be a problem. Over stable?

Buy two kits one to build as a Scion and one to build as a Leviathan (its currently the most cost effective way to get a Leviathan). :)

Last edited:
Going from 4 fins to three, and flipping them around, does move the Cp forward a fair amount. I built mine with dual deploy for my L1 and it needed a fair amount of nose weight.

Flew great though. I'd share the video, but don't have it up on YouTube anymore.
I can share a still shot right before hitting the go button.
https://www.sdrocketjockeys.com/images/scion033.JPG

Going from 4 fins to three, and flipping them around, does move the Cp forward a fair amount. I built mine with dual deploy for my L1 and it needed a fair amount of nose weight.

Flew great though. I'd share the video, but don't have it up on YouTube anymore.
I can share a still shot right before hitting the go button.
https://www.sdrocketjockeys.com/images/scion033.JPG

Looks exciting! I'm seriously considering using all four fins.. I have a feeling I'm going to make the fillets pretty thick and the extra far back CoP will help.

Ok... With the help of the tutorials on how to do decals, I've simplified the .ork files I uploaded to have decals instead of modified "inner tubes". So, if you downloaded it, you may want to take another peek (see post number 5)

I've added them to my .ork file thread as well.

OK, I need to get your ORK skills. That is insane. I am stealing your file for my scion / leviathan related kits I am considering.

Last edited:
Back