So... a few things from John Langford's keynote at vNARCON.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An "E60"( FSI, for reference here ) is a "Core-burning" design. It has a long central "port", running nearly the entire length of the fuel grain. It has a large diameter nozzle, because it is progressive burning. The motor burn is only about .5 seconds !

Unless you were flying during the "FSI era", you have likely never experienced how a core-burner operates. They are violent and "mega-fun" !

View attachment 502639

View attachment 502796

View attachment 502797

View attachment 502798
The FSI F7 and F100 were both AWESOME motors ... so long as they were used for appropriate missions. When not, we saw rockets shredded (F100) or falling out of the sky under power (F7). Really looking forward to the E60 !!!

Last edited:
Unless you were flying during the "FSI era", you have likely never experienced how a core-burner operates. They are violent and "mega-fun" !
I did have the pleasure of using Estes B14s, but I never flew any FSIs. I would love to see a new B14-0 or a D25(ish)-0, or even the C5-0. One can always get composite motors these days if they just want high thrust for a single-stage rocket. In order to get a higher thrust booster motor for multistage rockets, we'll need a core-burning BP motor. Not looking to shred the rocket... just to get it flying straight before the second stage lights.

It's going to take more than a "blob of cornstarch" to light these core-burners . . .

Those Sonic Starters are on the right track, but they are going to need more pyrogen !

Dave F.
Its a BP motor, a light sneeze fires em up, no special igniters needed and iirc they don't exactly have to be lit at the head end of the motor like APCP motors.

An "E60"( FSI, for reference here ) is a "Core-burning" design. It has a long central "port", running nearly the entire length of the fuel grain. It has a large diameter nozzle, because it is progressive burning. The motor burn is only about .5 seconds !

View attachment 502639

View attachment 502796

View attachment 502797

View attachment 502798
Slightly modified pyrotechnic skyrocket engine...same difference, gang pressed. Their internals are almost identical in shape and size of core

It's going to take more than a "blob of cornstarch" to light these core-burners . . .

Those Sonic Starters are on the right track, but they are going to need more pyrogen !

Dave F.
I ignited many F100s with Solar igniters. Just had to have something to hold it in and against the grain. And it only took one or two catos to convince me NOT to put them at the head of the core! Always ignite from the bottom of the core.

Try lighting a large cluster ( 7 or more motors ), using "cornstarch" igniters . . . Especially, a mixture of motor types and sizes.

Dave F.
Different animal vs a single motor, and I rarely use the cornstarch tipped often anyways (and never for clusters). I trade the groups of CubScouts and School groups their cornstarch igniters for my enhanced igniters since I want the kids to have fun not frustration. For single motors I have absolutely no worries about the cornstarch igniters, the issue with them is they absolutely have to be place properly (against the propellant).

1. Estes did indeed buy GOEX for fear of not being able to source black powder for motors.
2. The Mercury Atlas is definitely returning
5. John is also keen on bringing back the Maxi Brute Honest John, but that was not an official announcement.
6. There are definitely more classic kit re-releases coming (they are committed to keeping the K series classics relevant)
9. Spare parts expansion
10. New Estes spin-off company Estes Energetics certified an L-motor as part of a private contract. Not for sale though.

These few items really caught my attention. I've found it impossible to find BP for my Level One cert flight last year so I had to delay until this year. I'm still actively looking so hopefully I can put my hands on some in the next month.

Looking forward to the Atlas return. Was not a particularly good flier for me but it's a beautiful rocket and I'd like to pick up another one.

Maxi Brute HoJo's return makes me hopeful that we might see some of the other large scale rockets from Estes. I'd like to have another Maxi V-2 and X-Wing. Although I doubt we'll ever see another Star Wars rocket out of them. Could open the door to a return of the Pro Series line. Who wouldn't want another Maxi Force, Impulse and Patriot.

Can never have enough of the classics. Lets hope they continue the current trend of upscaling them like the Orbital Transport and Mar Snooper. Give me a 2in. Foxfire and a 3in Nasa Pegasus.

Spare parts. Just make the nose cones available. That's all I ask. I can source everything else. Just give us the darn nose cones. I have so many ideas for the Trajector nose cone I can't begin to list them all.

The spin off company testing L motors makes me thing we are going to see composites from Estes. I think this is an untapped market for them. Everyone knows Estes but I was in the hobby 30 years before I knew Aerotech existed.

These few items really caught my attention. I've found it impossible to find BP for my Level One cert flight last year so I had to delay until this year. I'm still actively looking so hopefully I can put my hands on some in the next month.

Spare parts. Just make the nose cones available. That's all I ask. I can source everything else. Just give us the darn nose cones. I have so many ideas for the Trajector nose cone I can't begin to list them all.

No BP ? Booster Motor + Hammer ( or "Vise Grips" ) + Mortar & Pestle = BP ( in "theory", of course ).

Nose Cones ? Hell, yes ! Every manufacturer should sell parts separately, and NOT where you have to buy 3 or 4 to get the one you want !

Dave F.

Last edited:
Mostly before the Langfords came along, there were complaints getting licensing from current private sector rocket builders ( i.e., Space X, Blue Orgin, etc.). I think this was because the owners were not interested. All that need to be done is to arrange a meeting with production (engineers?) and ask "How many of you would be here if Estes wasn't around during your child and teen years? Now that is settled, let's come up with some ideas that would be a mutual benefit." Easy Peasy.

No, but they can apply pressure to admin. I am assuming admin was not involved in model rocketry.
I honestly have no idea why you would think that is true. Production folks/engineers don't negotiate licensing deals; that's for marketing and legal, and in most companies they surely don't care a whit what the production or engineering folks think about it.

I honestly have no idea why you would think that is true. Production folks/engineers don't negotiate licensing deals; that's for marketing and legal, and in most companies they surely don't care a whit what the production or engineering folks think about it.
Where I worked the engineering staffs opinion was held in high esteem by the administration and were influential in administration decisions.

View attachment 502639

View attachment 502796

View attachment 502797

View attachment 502798
27mm is a pretty odd motor size, I can’t say I’ve ever seen that before.

Mostly before the Langfords came along, there were complaints getting licensing from current private sector rocket builders ( i.e., Space X, Blue Orgin, etc.). I think this was because the owners were not interested. All that need to be done is to arrange a meeting with production (engineers?) and ask "How many of you would be here if Estes wasn't around during your child and teen years? Now that is settled, let's come up with some ideas that would be a mutual benefit." Easy Peasy.
According to John, SpaceX approached Estes (Hobbico) around 2011 or so about producing the original Falcon/Dragon model but Hobbico wasn’t interested.

Maxi Brute HoJo's return makes me hopeful that we might see some of the other large scale rockets from Estes.

Did John actually commit to the 1/9 scale Honest John returning? I seem to recall him saying that he would like to see it return, but I don't recall an actual commitment to a return of the kit.

I may be wrong, but I'm too lazy to scroll through the entire video.

Did John actually commit to the 1/9 scale Honest John returning? I seem to recall him saying that he would like to see it return, but I don't recall an actual commitment to a return of the kit.

I don’t recall the exact wording but as an old, retired NCO I definitely recognized the tone - sometimes when the Old Man makes a “suggestion” it’s more ironclad than an order - an order has legal controlling authority so there are limitations, suggestions you have to get done, and done quick 😆

I think you’re right, but it did sound like a strong suggestion, and I’d guess that John Boren has worked up some specs on improving the core Maxi-Brute line that just requires a go-ahead from Bill and Marketing. I doubt they’d do a straight re-release. I mentioned at Beer Loft to John Langford that the HJ would be perfect for their “E60ish” based on my flying mine with FSI F100s (which of course were really E45s)

Last edited:
I would love another Maxi Honest Johnny. I had a great method of preventing the fins from breaking off back in the 1980's

I would love another Maxi Honest Johnny. I had a great method of preventing the fins from breaking off back in the 1980's
I carved mine from 3/8” balsa sheet to a scale profile, epoxied silkspan as a skin. Also left tabs that went through the boat tail to the FSI motor mount.

I found that a 1/16" basswood TTW core works great. Too much additional weight for a D12, but that was dicey even on a stock-built kit.

Back