Ellis Langford and Bill Stine on the latest Rocketry Show podcast

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Check it out folks: https://www.therocketryshow.com/the...-langford-and-bill-stine-of-estes-industries/

Although there were about 1000 additional questions I would have asked them, overall I came away with the feeling that they are trying to address every major issue in a positive way. The future for Estes (and the hobby) seems bright.

Here are a few of my takeaways, at least the ones I can remember (just listened to it but there's a lot of stuff in there):

1) They're working on the Pro Series stuff, specifically how to make it a sustainable business with good customer experience. They hinted strongly that having some additional motors beyond the E16 and F15 would be an important component to that. No specific promises or dates at this point.

2) Generally working on new motor types. Bill Stine hinted at new B motors, perhaps return of the B14 but he wasn't specific. And trying to figure out how to bring the C11 back. I find this pretty exciting.

3) As far as new kits go, focusing on creating "new classics". Will continue to do reissues as well.

4) Working on updating the altimeter

5) Working on outreach. One example idea was "science fair in a box".

6) New Saturn V kit is all new tooling.

7) Website refresh coming, with more detailed information about what makes each rocket interesting, and possibly some how-to. Example given was the built-up fins in the Little Joe 1. This sounds great.

8) Trying to not just bring back the catalog, but improve it. Want a rocket newbie to get enough info from the catalog to be able to get started in rocketry, and know what to do.

9) Said that E9s manufactured in the winter tended to have more problems.

There's lots more, go listen. I was pretty stoked by what I heard.

It was a great interview. Listening between the lines you could tell there was way more they wanted to talk about but couldn’t. The quick mention about more scale models from current prototypes has me excited - so many interesting possibilities!

...9) Said that E9s manufactured in the winter tended to have more problems....
as well as rubber gasket O rings in SRBs.

I forgot #10: They hinted strongly that Shrox is doing work for them in some capacity. Now *that* could be cool.
Either website/catalog artwork or rocket design, in any capacity that would be cool indeed.

Back