• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Smaller motors in minimum diameter rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketGeekInFL

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on doing a smaller motor in a minimum diameter rocket yet leaving the rocket able to fly its intended motor diameter? I have a 38mm min diameter and I want to fly it with 38mm on larger fields, however since my home field is much smaller I want to fly it with 29MM motors.

Take a look at how the Aeropack 75/54 adaptor works, might want to try out some rings like that.

I've never done minD, but I can't see how that matters. If you can make the motor fit (adapter) and if it has enough initial thrust to get it off the rail, then why not?

I was thinking of slim lines and this is one of the recommended options for this particular kit a Mariah 38, but I would prefer to not have anything creating drag and would also not look forward to doing some sort of build up on the front end of the retainer. I was thinking of using the 38 to 29 tailcone they have, but still have an issue of how to hold the motor in.

I was thinking of slim lines and this is one of the recommended options for this particular kit a Mariah 38, but I would prefer to not have anything creating drag and would also not look forward to doing some sort of build up on the front end of the retainer. I was thinking of using the 38 to 29 tailcone they have, but still have an issue of how to hold the motor in.

With a bit of finishing work you can remove the drag on a MD rocket utilizing a Slimline retainer. Note the "in process" and "finished" pictures my Madcow Tomach below.

IMG_0298.jpg IMG_0440.jpg

That is impressive, you can barely tell it is there. How did you do the build up for that? I imagine a lot of sanding was involved.

Well I think I have settled on a plan. I am going to use an Aeropack Minimum diameter retainer, with rods and casings using RAS, and then I will use 120-240 motors in a 360-480 casing on smaller fields. Will have to pay more for a G reload, but in the long run it will work out cheaper than trying something else, and will also be more reliable and less chance of loss. Now if I can just keep it out of the nearby lake that has ceremoniously been named after me all will be well.

Back