small u-bolts DIY style

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
I started with a piece of 2-56 all thread from the r/c aircraft section of my lhs, about 3" long. then bent it around a half inch wood dowel, used 2-56 nuts a washers to 'bolt it' to my baffle plate. a dab of epoxy was then used to 'lock' everything in place. I think if your model is much over 16 oz. that a 4-40 rod and a 5/8" dowel would work.
rex

ubolt 002.jpg

ubolt 003.jpg

Hmm, perhaps may this have something to do with your, em, top secret project, would it? :dark:

the dark gray/brown project, yes(still waiting for the fins to stabilize :)). first u-bolt went into my nike :).
rex

I tried that several times with thicker all-thread (4-40, 6-32 and finally 8-32). In every case the rod snapped in half before I could get a full 180° bend. :(

Last edited:
that might be caused by, to tight a radius bend or, the fact that push rods are not as brittle as machine screws...dunno. that said one doesn't want to over bend it, bend once and leave it.
the baffle is waiting for me to purchase the shock cord before installation (in something).
rex

that might be caused by, to tight a radius bend or, the fact that push rods are not as brittle as machine screws...dunno. that said one doesn't want to over bend it, bend once and leave it.
the baffle is waiting for me to purchase the shock cord before installation (in something).
rex
Nope, I was using lengths of all-thread, not machine screws, and I tried increasing the radius as much as I could. (I was bending it around steel pipe.) Still got the same results. I do have a length of 2-56 threaded rod, and in fact it does seem to be much more ductile than any other size that I have had. I can see this working with that size but not with any other, based on my experience. (Unless you heat the rod with a blow torch.)

Much of the all-thread used for rc pushrods appears to be made of a tempered hardened steel (think drill bits), and does not like to be bent. I had better luck with all-thread from the local hardware or home depot, when i want to bend it. Seems to be made of a softer steel, somewhat like nails.

Mike

Much of the all-thread used for rc pushrods appears to be made of a tempered hardened steel (think drill bits), and does not like to be bent. I had better luck with all-thread from the local hardware or home depot, when i want to bend it. Seems to be made of a softer steel, somewhat like nails.

Mike
Hardware store all-thread was what I was trying it with. On the other hand the rather more ductile 2-56 rod that I have came from a hobby shop. I suspect that for anything larger than that size you would need to soften the rod with a blow torch before attempting to put a 180° bend in it. I feel pretty certain that you would be successful (bending the rod around a steel pipe) then.

I like what Rex did there. I was just describing my own past experience with the same idea, that's all.

Last edited:
I've been doing the same thing with coat-hanger wire for years now. After inserting the "U" al the way through your bulkhead, bend the ends toward each other at sharp 90 degree angles with a pair of pliers. Basically you want to form a "D" shape where the upright of the D is doubled-up. Clip any excess, and then pull tight against the bulkhead. Then epoxy it in place.

Needless to say, for anything beyond MPR you'd want to use something other than junk steel and perhaps lay down a piece (or two) of fiberglass cloth with the epoxy.

Edit: I found some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/J7LKl

Last edited:
I know for hanging my buddies exhaust pipe, we bent a zinc plated rod from home depot to for a staple shaped bolt. 2 90 degree bends made using a vice.

I do suspect that the strength does suffer compared to a commercial u-bolt.

well since that plate is solidly attached to the baffle...if you were wondering if I used a backer plate, no I did not.
rex

I've been doing the same thing with coat-hanger wire for years now. After inserting the "U" al the way through your bulkhead, bend the ends toward each other at sharp 90 degree angles with a pair of pliers.
I've done similarly with piano wire. It may be a bit more ductile than the coat hanger wire. Regardless, for lots of rockets, these materials are plenty adequate; ¼-20 u-bolts are overkill for most model rocket applications wink.gif

Doug

If I'm ready Rex right, he used the threaded pushrods from the RC aircraft section of a hobby shop rather than the all thread from the hardware store. The pushrods appear to me made of a softer metal. I had not thought about it before although I had noticed that the pushrods were soft. I attributed it to their small diameter but it makes sense that they may be softer.

I've done similarly with piano wire. It may be a bit more ductile than the coat hanger wire.

Piano wire is generally a higher grade of steel, usually a hardened+tempered spring steel. It will be much less ductile than coat hanger wire, though quite a bit stronger. If you are looking to shave every fraction of a gram of weight, piano wire is certainly the way to go.

Regardless, for lots of rockets, these materials are plenty adequate; ¼-20 u-bolts are overkill for most model rocket applications.

Indeed. I am a huge proponent of materials testing, even if that testing is nothing more that clamping the materials in a vice and giving a good yank on it to simulate a chute catching air at high velocity. It is amazing what can be learned from such crude testing.

Just curious...

For those of you that use U-bolts, why not just use a loop of Kevlar?

I have never had a problem bending that...

(I'm not intending to start a fight, so keep the popcorn for the movies :) )

Kevlar does burn, and it also abrades much more than metal. If I happened to have some scraps that were stout enough, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for lpr/mpr, though.

er, um, because I didn't have any the right size...and the hardware store doesn't stock kevlar :).
rex

I never really found a good way to attach the kevlar where a cutting surface wouldn't eventually wear through. Gluing around the motor tube worries me that the epoxy will cut the kevlar. Kevlar tied directly to the u bolt / eye bolt with a quick link works well for me.

I do hate some of my rockets where the shock cord mount is unreachable and cannot be changed out without some serious surgery. Tube too narrow and can't reach in very far. Debated steel cable for these, but BP charges will rust them pretty fast.

When I have an attachment loop (U-bolt, wire, etc.) that is down in a narrow tube, I tie a small loop in the end of my shock cord and then drop either end of the shock cord down near the loop and fish it through with a long wire or grasper. I have a long flexible grasper with small claws at the end I picked up years ago at an auto parts store for retrieving bolts and stuff you drop e.g. in the engine compartment that works great. Once you have the cord through the anchor loop thread the end of the cord through the looped end of the cord and slide it back down to the anchor. I haven't had to change one but the plan is to grab the shock cord loop with the wire or grasper and pull it up to unthread the old shock cord. Not sure if that is clear but it is how I plan to change out old shock cords if needed.

I do hate some of my rockets where the shock cord mount is unreachable and cannot be changed out without some serious surgery. Tube too narrow and can't reach in very far. Debated steel cable for these, but BP charges will rust them pretty fast.
Nylon-coated stainless steel cable is your friend. SS resists corrosion much better than plain steel, and the nylon coating adds even more protection. None of mine show any signs of corrosion.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-wire-rope/=j6j173

Kevlar does burn, and it also abrades much more than metal. If I happened to have some scraps that were stout enough, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for lpr/mpr, though.
Actually, it doesn't burn (ignite) but decomposes with prolonged exposure to very high heat.

Nylon-coated stainless steel cable is your friend. SS resists corrosion much better than plain steel, and the nylon coating adds even more protection. None of mine show any signs of corrosion.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-wire-rope/=j6j173

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Mainly wanted to try if I used some form of piston ejection. Wanted the area below the pison to be pretty close to permanent.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Mainly wanted to try if I used some form of piston ejection. Wanted the area below the pison to be pretty close to permanent.
When buying wire rope, the higher the strand count, the more flexible the cable will be. 7x7 is a good choice.

When buying wire rope, the higher the strand count, the more flexible the cable will be. 7x7 is a good choice.

I seen that. Isn't flexiblity good? The 7x19 looked better. Maybe I'm wrong. Looking at 1/8" bare with 3/16" including the coating.

I seen that. Isn't flexiblity good? The 7x19 looked better. Maybe I'm wrong. Looking at 1/8" bare with 3/16" including the coating.
It should be. I'm not familiar with 7x19 cable, but I do have experience with 7x7 (it's what I use), so that's why I could recommend it.

Here is the SS cable that I use (the 90 lb. test version) in my mid power and large low power builds. Since I wasn't sure what strength of cable you wanted I provided the McMaster-Carr link instead, because they have a wider variety and sell their wire rope by the foot. They carry a big variety, but I am not familiar with most of them.

My wife used to be into beading. When I got restarted in rocketry a few years later I devoted much of my first couple of years scratch-building MicroMaxx rockets, mostly out of everyday materials (like Bic pen barrels). I had read about using Kevlar anchors (like Quest does) for shock cords, but I didn't know where to get it, so I started using some bead cable that my wife had. I quickly discovered that there were assorted types of bead cable with very different characteristics. (Don't use "Tiger Tail"; it is no better than picture hanging wire.) The type that worked out best was nylon-coated multi-strand stainless steel microcable from Beadalon. I found several versions of it in Michael's Crafts, and that is how I first learned about the relationship of strand count to flexibility. (Yeah, greater flexibility is a good thing.) Their 7x49 cable is so slinky that it can be knotted just like carpet thread, which it superficially resembles. The strongest version is 20 lb. test, so when I wanted to use it in larger rockets I had to find another source. I started using fishing leader, but the highest strand count that I could find for it was 7x7. It turned out to be more than slinky enough for my needs.

To create loops and to "tie" it off I use crimp barrels. I anchor one end of the cable to the motor mount by wrapping it around the motor tube to create a constrictor knot, and then I affix the tag end to the free part of the cable with a crimp barrel (or two). I create a loop in the upper end and close it off with one or two more crimp barrels. I crimp (crush down) the barrels with a pair of vice grips. Properly crimped, the loop is secure and will never slip or come apart. I tie the actual shock cord to that loop.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm looking at much heavier cable, but the same priciple applies. I got some cable that is non coated from home depot - doubt it is stainless and some crimps for loops. I think if I try this, I'll get the right cable - stainless and coated.

Thanks for the descriptions of what works for you.

cavecentral said:
I do hate some of my rockets where the shock cord mount is unreachable and cannot be changed out without some serious surgery.

Rex, sorry to hijack your thread, but I thought I'd throw this thread back out there, since it's sort of along the same lines.

By the way, that rocket has since been repaired (although now much shorter) and now has nearly 30 flights on it...

Back