Slow Burning Gas Generation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaHybrids

Reaction score
Does anyone use some of the slower burning magnum rifle powders for gas generation? I have a recovery application where I need (relatively) slow gas generation. I've tried Goex Cannon and it still burns faster than I'd like.

If I can't find a slower powder I'll likely transition to CO2.

Edward

Is this as a delay or for smoke generation? Or as a pressurization gas?

This may have to be moved to the Research forum.

I don't know how much space is available but....
The fast powder can be fired into a plenum and exit holes sized to the time required.

M

Burn speed is related to pressure of course. To get any kind of repeatability with the slower burning powders you'd have to burn the powder in a long tube similar to a barrel. To control burn pressure you can vary the diameter of the tube and light the powder from the top so it burns towards the bottom of the container. Another way to slow it down would be to distribute the powder on a piece of tape large enough to hold your charge and put that in a larger round container. The open surface area slows down the heat transfer. I used to use the tape trick to slow the burn rate many years ago, but for a different purpose.

But I agree with DaveW6DPS, using a CO2 system should allow you to much more reliably generate gas at the pressure curve you want by simply changing the orifice size.

Tony

One of the challenges is currently the items to be pressurized are not connected. I was wanting to use a pyrotechnic solution so that it could be compact and integral. CO2 would be much heavier with tubing routed to each location. I should probably re-design and see if I can simplify parts.

Edward

What about a BP pellet or Pyrodex pellet. Length & diameter can be controlled.
Bp pellets can easily be made by cutting paper casing off an Estes motor.

Back