Use of Nitrile and other gloves

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am certain my patients prefer that I not reuse gloves.

I use a lot less at home. I do reuse them while building rockets.
I work in a research laboratory with biohazard materials. Lots and lots of gloves and pipet tips lol! Even so, the amount we go through is significantly less than a doctors office. Medical setting is extremely strict with lots of regulations on when and how often to change gloves but obviously for good reason. If I was your patient I would prefer you put on fresh ones before seeing me lol

Well, since I started this thread and it popped back up, I figured I'd add my current state: re-using the gloves roughly 5-20 times, specifically when working on building shocks, not with rocket stuff.

I got to the point where I was being a little cleaner in general and can wipe the gloves down with purple power and then blow in the back side of the glove to inflate it a bit and make it easier to pull off. Usually I get a good number of uses, unless I nick the glove with one of the tools. If I do that, obviously they fail almost immediately. It is definitely less wasteful than using 2 pairs per shock build. . .

As far as the gloves being hot and soupy, I only have them on for about a minute at a time and the shop is climate controlled, so not at all the same as it would be fiberglassing a tube or similar. If I got sweaty, I would probably just toss them, as I agree, it feels gross. . .

Sandy.

You need to get a new copy of the ERG it updates every 2 or 3 years, CDL Hazmat drivers are required to carry a current physical copy in their vehicles whenever carrying HAZMAT. I also have the electronic version (app) on my smart phone.
You're correct -- that was a typo on my part. I have the 2020 edition.

My younger brother likes to work on cars. Being a grease monkey didn't exactly fit in with his day job as an investment banker. So he bought a big bag of cheap vinyl gloves. Cheap gloves. He would put on a pair when he started working on a project. They would last a few minutes then pop. He would just put another pair on, without remoning the old ones. one night his wife went out to checck on him, it was getting late. "My God! What's happened to your hands!", she said. Looking down at his hands, covered in the tatters of multiple pairs of gloves, it looked as though he had been in a terrible accident and the skin was peeling off. He started pulling the old ones off after that.

It's a trillion degrees with gloves on, and nobody ( including me ) wants to put their hand back into a bag of soup.
To avoid making "glove soup" 😆 , when removing, I roll my gloves down to the base pf the fingers (or a bit past), pull off a finger at a time and then leave it facing up to air dry. Works like a charm.

20230402_145233.jpg

Back