Shouldn't AP motors be CHEAPER vs. BP??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike & Paul - thanks for the manufactures side view.

I'm just glad we have as many sources of commercial AP motors as we do. The variety and selection is better than it was a few years back.

Al
BRS Pres

Originally posted by als57
I certainly did not imply that I had inside knowlage about AT or any other rocketry manufactures products.
As to what you with BRS pres is. This is a rocketry web site. So hopefully titles should be rocketry related. So try looking up the Buffalo Rocketry Society.

I know exactly what BRS is. That's why I made my comment! Because you signed as the president of a 'Rocket Society', it implies that you have knowledge above and beyond the 'rank and file' of rocket fliers.

'Geez, he's the president of BRS, I bet he knows a lot about how all this rocket stuff works" Not an unreasonable assumption for someone to make.

If I seem overly 'excited' by this topic, it's because nearly all of Deandome's posts are based on absolutely no information, just pure speculation. And the tone implies that the motor manufacturers are trying to take advantage of us fliers, when in fact they make the hobby possible with very little return to themselves.

It's actually pretty cool out today. So rather than chilling out, I think I'll go have a cup of hot chocolate.

tms

Originally posted by Mike Dennett
So many times over the years, to the point where I now start yawning immediately, I have heard that same argument about propellant cost being only X amount per pound, why are the motors "so expensive". How many companies have jumped into the fray over the last two decades with dreams of being the next major motor maker and with plans to change the status quo of motor cost, yada yada? Hmm, where did they all go? Reality bites..

Mike,
Thanks for your post. Your point on the number of failed motor companies is well taken. If the current manufacturers did not each have a personal passion for the business, there wouldn't be any motors. I just hope everyone can hang in there until this whole mess with the BATFE is resolved, one way or the other.

tms

Originally posted by 2muchstuff
IIt's actually pretty cool out today. So rather than chilling out, I think I'll go have a cup of hot chocolate.

tms

Fair enough. Its supposed to snow again tonight here.

Al
BRS Pres

Originally posted by 2muchstuff
I'm really surprised Gary from AT hasn't chimed in on this thread. Rather than guess at the reasons with no basis in reality, ask someone who can answer based on reality. He'll confirm that the above is true. Trust me, if he could produce a low cost 18mm APCP motor, he'd be making them by the truckload. But he can't, so he's got to hope there are enough flyers who will pay the price for the motor.
I've answered these types of questions a number of times before.

Size of market (small)
Economy of scale (what scale??)
Cost of materials (much higher than BP)
Cost of labor (much higher than BP)
Cost of overhead (very high relative to size of market)

That's most of it.

Well Gary;

Another First!!

The Three Major mfg. all agree!!
Perhaps that's a great omen!!

Are you copying us BATFE:)

Paul

Hopefully I'm not putting words in Gary's mouth, but he was kind enough to answer some of my questions about this a couple years ago. As I understood it, the single-use hobby motors are pretty much a "loss leader". He doesn't make very much on them, but they help get people into the hobby in the hopes they'll progress up to the RMS stuff.

Made sense to me- the first year or so back in the hobby, all I flew were Econojets. Now I rarely buy single-use motors unless I plan to do a lot of flying in a single day and don't want to get slowed down by cleaning motor casings. I have a box full of 40-120 reloads in the basement. Used to have a box full of 180-240's but had to fly them all before Oct. 10th.:mad:

Back