Shockcord Mounted GPS solution?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleestak

Reaction score
Does anyone have any solutions to mount a Featherweight GPS to a shockcord? 3D printed would be ideal, but not required.

Wrap it in foam, nomex (depends on where you want to put it), and tape, tape to the harness.

*Edit - forgot that I wrap some thin nomex around the foam when I do this!

Last edited:
I put a Eggfinder mini GPS into a 24mm couple tube that is long enough for th GPS & Battery.
One end has a glued in bulkhead, the other has a stepped bulkhead to close the tube. This gets taped on.
Also have a piece of Kevlar cord running through the tube and both bulkheads as a 'safety' line.

Then there are two rings glued to the outside of the tube about 1/2inch apart. This is where a Tie-wrap goes to hold it onto the shock cord.

The URRG club rents GPS for short cord attachment. Check them here:
https://urrg.us/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/URRG-GPS-Tracker-Sizes-and-Installation-Guide.pdf

You can also use a second Nomex chute protector threaded through the shock cord , wrap the transmitter once, wrap the battery around it, then burrito the ends and wrap the reminder around the shock cord (it will probably be 2 or 3 times).. Tape the heck out of it with paper masking tape (DO NOT use electrical tape... it will melt, and the adhesive is messy). A 9" or 12" chute protector works best.

Insert GPS and battery, tape lid, tape to cord. I tape the battery and gps to a 1/16 piece of balsa the length of the tube to keep things apart.
View attachment 530909View attachment 530910
I have a T3 and it's battery mounted on the opposite sides of a 1/8th piece of plywood. Its just the right width to fit into a tube like this. It goes in, the bottom cap is semi-permanently taped in place with lots of making tape. The top cap gets taped with slightly less masking tape and I use 5 - 6 wraps of electrical tape near the top and the bottom of the tube to tape it to the shock cord. Works great.

Wrap it in foam, nomex (depends on where you want to put it), and tape, tape to the harness.

*Edit - forgot that I wrap some thin nomex around the foam when I do this!

Yes this works! Great and simple lightweight solution! The rocket in question is a 2.6" Loc Nano Magg. There just isn't a lot of room in the BT and the NC has an epoxied wood bulkhead that makes matters worse. If I was smart, I would have incorporated the tracker into the NC before hand. But I really like this solution since it is truly universal across all my older rockets with no tracker bay. Thanks!

Back