SETI Group

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ymj365, yes I understand that but kinda liked having the screen saver run. Besides it shouldn't crash Windows. Eventually I'll get another WU but they are still slow or down at SETI so I can't test.

Here's their latest...

June 25, 2004
Well this issue will have to be resolved next week, The memory sticks for the machine that was supposed to handle the web traffic was defective and so we are waiting on replacements before bringing it online.

June 25, 2004
The transitioner is not currently able to keep up with the splitters. We are going to bring down the frontend in an attempt to allow the transitioner a chance to play catchup with the rest of the system.

June 25, 2004
We added a second splitter and then hit the next bottleneck which was the transitioner. We are building a new transitioner now with a more efficient workunit database query. In addition we are bringing a third splitter online for good measure. The project will be down for a bit while we put this in place

Zippy: Shouldn't it be, "Windows shouldn't crash because of a screen saver"? (i.e. If the system is locking up, I'd say Windows is to blame, not the BOINC screen saver.) Which Windows are you running and what kind of video card do you have? Does it have the latest drivers? Maybe we can get the screen saver going for you.

WRT SETI@home's back end:

It would appear that the beta testing they did did not test system load very well. I ended up as user 1706 on the new system, and the old system had well over five million users. If this weekend has been any example of what it will be like later (when all of the old users have switched), I think they're going to need a whole lot more than "a third splitter online for good measure". :(

Ah well... it is still a cool project and one that has gotten many, many people working together toward a common goal. I'm sure they will get their act together before too long. (Meanwhile, you have at least one and I have three machines sitting here wasting CPU cycles. :( )

Solrules: If you take a look at the attached screen capture, you'll see exactly what they mean about the new crediting system. The top two "work units" on the screen took very different amounts of work and (I presume) will be credited appropriately. Under the old system, I would have gotten two WUs, with no mention of the fact that one of those WUs took 173 times as much work to complete.

Ok... so why didn't the file attach, I wonder? (First time I tried attaching a file, so it figures it wouldn't work.) Let's try this again...

Ok, one last try (I've completely turned off the firewall for this try)... it's definately not the file size (about 27k) or file type (.GIF)... if this doesn't work, I'm going to have to give up (at least for now), since I need to head out to a birthday party.

(The screen capture shows 4:54:27 of CPU time for the first work unit and 0:01:42 for the second... in this case, a picture would speak about 20 words, if only I could get it attached.)

Originally posted by ymj365
Zippy: Shouldn't it be, "Windows shouldn't crash because of a screen saver"? (i.e. If the system is locking up, I'd say Windows is to blame, not the BOINC screen saver.) Which Windows are you running and what kind of video card do you have? Does it have the latest drivers? Maybe we can get the screen saver going for you.
No, since the old version did not crash but the new BOINC does then it must be BOINC's fault. I'm on WinXP with a TNT2 card with the latest drivers. I'm not the only one this is happening to and it doesn't seem to be card specific. If you go to the SETI site and look through their forum you'll see other similer problems inbetween the huge amounts of "can't get WU's" complaints.

Looks like they've shut the website down 'til Monday. So no more new users can join for a couple of days. :( Don't blame them, it seems they've been a little overwhelmed; and not having to worry about more users coming online, will help them catch up.

I seem to be able to connect with my BOINC client, so it looks like WUs will still be available to existing users.

Zippy: No, you missed my point. I'm not arguing that the BOINC screensaver doesn't have a problem; it clearly does. What I'm saying is that regardless of whether or not it has a problem, Windows shouldn't crash and burn with it. The fact that Windows allows itself to be damaged is Windows' fault, not BOINC's.

The SETI guys will work out the problems (they always have in the past). My guess is that they are more interested in keeping the analysis going and are concentrating on their back end systems. After all, the screensaver is really just a gimmick they have to get people to donate spare CPU cycles... the real science happens even if the screensaver is off.

Cydermaster: I can confirm that my machines at home have all gotten work at some point yesterday afternoon or today (didn't have any work at 12:30pm EDT Saturday when I went out). My last upload was at 1:37am EDT Sunday. Even though you cannot sign up now, you can at least move forward if you have already signed up.

Originally posted by ymj365

Cydermaster: I can confirm that my machines at home have all gotten work at some point yesterday afternoon or today (didn't have any work at 12:30pm EDT Saturday when I went out). My last upload was at 1:37am EDT Sunday. Even though you cannot sign up now, you can at least move forward if you have already signed up.

Ditto here. I have been getting work off and on all day, but the website is down. It sounds like they will have it up Monday or Tuesday, but the crunching continues.

Hmm. I have set my preferences for BOINC to cache 4 days worth of work on my machine. Right now I have 8 WU ready to be processed. Of course, their website is down though.

ymj365, actually I did get the jab at Windows. No operating system is crash proof though. But it doesn't really matter. The BOINC started crashing my pc even without the screensaver so I uninstalled it for now. When a new version comes out I'll give it a try again.

Zippy: So it's not the screensaver, huh? That sucks. Oh well... give them time, and they will fix it.

The whole idea behind BOINC (i.e. being able to spread my spare CPU cycles between projects as I wish) is a very good one. Before, I had to dedicate an entire PC to a specific project. With BOINC I can (well, eventually, anyway) divvy my cycles up however I wish.

BTW- anyone who is interested in other distributred computing projects (there are quite a few cool ones out there), can go here for a pretty complete list of them (click on the Active Projects link).

It's been a while since anyone seemed to join the TRF team - has eveyone been put off by the prooblems SETI have had or are there really only a few of us around giving this a go?

I noticed that there is just the eight of us, to reassure anyone that is thinking about it, they seem to have the server problems worked out and it is working fine on my machine. I think the number of people that changed to the BOINC platform surprised them. I was not going to do it but then said the heck with it and installed it. Classic seti@home was getting a little buggy and this has not caused any problems at all with my windowsXP machine.

You can go to https://seti2.mundayweb.com/index.php and get yourself a funky credits badge like mine!!! :D

.png

NB: You have to use the altURL to get this to show on this forum

I'm finally getting work from the server again. I have fallen behind all of you severely in the lack of work:D ! Do you all have your computers running 24/7?

Originally posted by RocketmanTM
I'm finally getting work from the server again. I have fallen behind all of you severely in the lack of work:D ! Do you all have your computers running 24/7?

At home, I currently have 3 PC's running 24/7... one is my PVR (TIVO) and eMule (P2P file sharing) server; one is a Win2k Domain Controller; and one handles some process control and packet sniffing apps (though the last one would be better described as crawling... it takes over 56hrs to finish a work unit... it didn't even notice all of the problems SETI BOINC was having... just kept slugging away).

In addition, I have two laptops, a new IBM TP T41 (from work) that I'm still setting up (haven't done much with it in the last week, so it is just sitting here running SETI) and my personal IBM TP A30. While I schlep the A30 to/from work, it is rarely off for more than than 2hrs a day.

I also have access to a bunch of machines at work, but haven't bothered to switch them to SETI BOINC yet (still on SETI Classic). Once they are on SETI BOINC, I'll have about 12 machines going 24/7.

Finally, I maintain two classrooms at work (a college), with about 35 PC's between them. While these aren't on 24/7, they probably equal another 20 or so machines on average.

(At one point, I was going to use our system login script to push the SETI Classic client out to all the machines on campus... if I had, I would have had 1500-2000 machines running it, though not 24/7. I was never able to get it to install silently to my satisfaction. Also, to force the client out to people without their knowledge is technically a violation of the SETI user agreement... otherwise, I'd just whip up a little worm that goes around and switches all SETI clients to my user id - j/k! :D :D )

Two of my machines run 24/7, but one of them (the PII400) runs very slowly, its only really there to service a printer! The other one (Athlon 2400) runs the network, P2P stuff, firewalls and generally most of the server type stuff (without actually being a server).

I also run my laptop most of the day, but this gets switched off when seti interferes with other software I'm running (in terms of speed, not conflicts)

HTH

I just joined seti@home and the TRF team.

I actually first heard about seti@home clear back in late 1999...but I never could decide whether I wanted to participate or not.

I guess since TRF has formed a team, I will :)

I switched over to Bionic this weekend and joined the TRF team. I had over 800 units on the classic site but have not been running SETI for over a year. I now have Bionic running on two computers 24/7 and I hope that I can build up my numbers quickly.

Signed myself up too, what a great idea! lets hope something interesting comes of it!

Sorry to be a pain, but I still think F@H is a more concrete and worthwhile cause, if not as captivating to the imagination.

I run folding@home at work, and SETI on my machine at home...hard to explain to customers that you are looking for little green men....much more PC to explain that you are helping with cancer research:D !

I run folding@home at work, and SETI on my machine at home...hard to explain to customers that you are looking for little green men....much more PC to explain that you are helping with cancer research:D !

LOL!! Yeah. I can see where that would be a problem!

I've joined

What do the credits do?

Their server is down for updating. No work yet.

Can't say that I know exactly what my credits get me, other than bragging rights. I figure that SETI@home is a good thing for my computer to be doing beyond just sitting there when the kids forget to turn it off....:D

I had about 4300WU on SETI classic, but just migrated to BOINC. Dunno what calculation they do, but they seem to have stolen about 1000 WUs credit from me!

BOINC version, I know I've processed & uploaded at least 8 WUs, but only 6 register: 5 awaiting validation, and one that seems to be discarded just cos file transfer failed! (doesn't the software even bother with a retry if there's no ACK from server???). The others just seem to have vanished in cyberspace!

Joined the TRF group, but only 10 members are listed, but not my user for some reason. Maybe you need granted credit first?

Not entirely happy right now... much preferred the classic version.

Back