Semroc SLS Sky Hook

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Last year I bought and built the Semroc Retro-Repro version of the Astron Sky Hook. Recently I finished the 1.75:1 upscale, the Semroc SLS Sky Hook. A full report will be sent to EMRR after its first flights, but here's some thoughts.

This thing is very heavy duty for the size. I have no doubt it could handle some heavy G force punishment. But at 3 ounces, a 5" 29mm motor mount is more than most should expect to ever use. The instructions say 4000' on an F25, and I believe them. Luckily it comes with a (very well designed) 24mm adapter.

It comes with a water slide decal that wraps around the entire upper half of the body. You can, of course, decorate it your own way, but since this is in part a show piece, I think the decal is a nice touch.

I like mine, but wimped out and so far have only used up to an E9 in it. I've slowed down on throw away rockets.

I got the SLS Jaguar for my Daughter and she loves it. As far as I can tell there is no reason to stick more than an E9 in it as it ROCKS off the pad. Great kit!!!

Originally posted by valkrider15
I got the SLS Jaguar for my Daughter and she loves it. As far as I can tell there is no reason to stick more than an E9 in it as it ROCKS off the pad. Great kit!!!

Considering how nice the kits are, I tend to agree. You know that nifty 29/24mm adapter included? I considered gluing it in when I was building it. I still am.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
You know that nifty 29/24mm adapter included? I considered gluing it in when I was building it. I still am.

I have built a Semroc SLS Scorpion and would like to know how everyone has used the 24mm adapter for this kit without permanently gluing the adapter in place? :confused:

Thanks.

I made a wire hook that fits over the end of the motor/adapter. I wrap a couple of wraps of tape over this. Oh, and I put a layer of clear tape over the end of the rocket to protect the decal. Kinda like this:

____________________\
|
|
|<--end of motor
|
----------------------/

I thought it needed something so i added a payload section.

I like it!:D

Thats just asking to be night launched sand :)

Phil

Originally posted by rstaff3
I made a wire hook that fits over the end of the motor/adapter. I wrap a couple of wraps of tape over this. Oh, and I put a layer of clear tape over the end of the rocket to protect the decal. Kinda like this:

____________________\
|
|
|<--end of motor
|
----------------------/

Thanks, that's a pretty slick idea.

On my First SLS Jaguar I did Glue in the adapter. On the second I didn't and just did a tight fristion fit. I have never needed anything more than what the 24mm can fit though so having the adapter glued in has not been an issue for me.

Just finished building my first Semroc SLS kit, the Sky Hook. I was impressed with the tubing and the pre-cut fin slots. The whole model went together very easy. Now I'm just waiting to a decent day to shoot the primer coat on. I have to say, this most I will fly it on is a D12 unless there is NO wind! I lost my original Semroc Sky Hook to the soybeans on an A8-5! [replacement ordered.]

I finished building my Semroc SLS Skyhook the other day. I like the heavy walled tubing and I probably will pick up a Scorpion and Jaguar.

I decided that I would never fly it on anything bigger than 24mm so I just glued the adapter in.

It only weighs 3.3 oz. without chute so I'm sure it will go plenty high.

I probably should have mentioned this last summer after it happened...but I forgot.

Mine didn't fair too well at NARAM. She spit her motor. I thought it was locked on the motor hook but I guess not.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately there was (OK there still is) a "passenger" inside.

All together now...PRANG!!!!

Bob, BTW yours is beautiful! I love the color!

Originally posted by sandman
Mine didn't fair too well at NARAM. She spit her motor. I thought it was locked on the motor hook but I guess not.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately there was (OK there still is) a "passenger" inside.

All together now...PRANG!!!!

OUCH!!! :(

At least we got a good laugh or two out of it. . .

But...does anybody recall that I flew it later that day...unchanged, unrepaired. I just brushed the dirt off.

THAT is one tuff little rocket!

The second time the chute deployed perfectly!:D

It was signed by Vern and Gleda Estes along with Carl from SEMROC!

It has since been retired and replaced by a new one!

Not happy with the color of the fins. I ran out of the paint I used on the original "pranged" model. I think it was "Dutch Blue.

That was a closer match to the decal color.

Originally posted by sandman
Not happy with the color of the fins. I ran out of the paint I used on the original "pranged" model. I think it was "Dutch Blue.

That was a closer match to the decal color.

Did the decal color change? The blue on your decal looks a lot lighter than the blue that was on my decal.

I painted mine Silver Metallic with Cobalt Blue Metallic fins and nose cone and the decal color is real close.

I just brought up the picture Of my original, yours, and my new one and compared them to my model.

I think it's just an odd "thing' from my camera's flash that makes it look lighter. You took yours in natural sunlight.

My original's decals look darker than the picture.

Just built my own SMS Skyhook - very impressive, probably the best packaging and instructions I've ever seen in an LPR/MPR kit. Parts fit was perfect and it was done (including initial coat of primer) in just an hour or so (I used thin CA to seal the wood).

Really heavy duty! I will likely never use a 29mm motor in it, so I am also thinking of gluing the 24mm adapter in place. Should be a great flyer on D's and E's at my local LPR site (Fiesta Island in San Diego).

Barry

The decals had to be the thickest I have ever used! Here's a shot of my completed SkyHook - RTF empty weight is 3.4 ounces.

Barry

Back