Semroc Saturn 1b

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota196

Reaction score
Well after having this kit built for over 10 yrs, I decided to complete it. I purchased the kit when they were in NC. Still have the box. Decided not to paint the tanks black. I like doing the odd ball schemes. I had the tanks black when I built it, but decided just all white. Just finished painting the black. What a chore. Took me 3 hours and a roll of 1/16, 1/8 and 1/4 inch automotive painters tape. Much cheaper than Tamiya‘s stuff and I get a normal size roll. All 3 sizes for the price of one of Tamiya’s. Put heat wrap foil on the CM and drew the lines on the LEM wrap. Have a lot of touch up to do and the wait on some decals from Semroc. Any body notice that the decals are black that goes on black areas? Not really any good to me. Should be white on black and black on white. I also had some bleeding on the red USA. Power is 18mm x4.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0204.jpeg
    IMG_0204.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0205.jpeg
    IMG_0205.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Here’s the decals.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Very nicely done! I’ve taken breaks during builds, but 10 years has me beat! LOL

Nice work on the SM! Did you enjoy building the escape tower? This bird flies very nicely on 4 C6-3 motors.

Nice work on the SM! Did you enjoy building the escape tower? This bird flies very nicely on 4 C6-3 motors.
The tower was a real PITA, with the two different sized dowels, but it was nice to do and get done. Surprising how durable it is. Was doing some decal work on the escape motor and dropped it on my hardwood floor and it didn’t have any damage at all. But that was only 4 feet. Randy at Semroc is printing me another set of decals. I wanted the CM to be shined so I added silver heat wrap foil. It was a fun build. Did you do the built up fins. They are very fragile. I think they would break upon landing.

Yes, I used the built-up fins, just thought it looked so much nicer. I've broken one on a hard landing, so ordered parts, now I have enough to build 7 more!

Back