Self Defense

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me how a gun free society would save lives?

The best way to research the effects would be to look at places where it as been tried. When I was on my recent trip, I was walking with a group of Australians a day or two after the Orlando mass shooting. One of the men mentioned to me that 15 or 20 years ago Australia instituted some very strict gun-control measures. I don't know the details of those measures, but I'm sure they were more restrictive than would ever be able to be implemented in the US. Anyway, he said that the result was a massive and undeniable decrease in gun violence and other gun-related deaths. I'm not pointing this out as a way to advocate for doing the same thing in the US, but just to point out that if you really want an answer to your question, you might be able to find one by looking at what happened in Australia as a great test case.

In America, the argument goes that 33,000 gun deaths a year is just the price of freedom to keep and bear arms. That may be the case. But if you look at the example of other countries who have stricter laws and fewer deaths, are they less free in any meaningful way?

Completely agree. I may not agree with what you're saying, but I certainly agree with your ability to say it. I think we're in completely new territory - 9 pages debating gun control without a personal attack. Whodathunkit?

Thank you Barkley, as the great Yogi Berra once said, we agree differently:cool:

Take advantage of the confusion to load up on hardware and motors...

Agreed. But I prefer to do my shopping during riots. Very similar to Black Friday, except at Black Friday, you still have to pay for the item.

The best way to research the effects would be to look at places where it as been tried. When I was on my recent trip, I was walking with a group of Australians a day or two after the Orlando mass shooting. One of the men mentioned to me that 15 or 20 years ago Australia instituted some very strict gun-control measures. I don't know the details of those measures, but I'm sure they were more restrictive than would ever be able to be implemented in the US. Anyway, he said that the result was a massive and undeniable decrease in gun violence and other gun-related deaths. I'm not pointing this out as a way to advocate for doing the same thing in the US, but just to point out that if you really want an answer to your question, you might be able to find one by looking at what happened in Australia as a great test case.

In America, the argument goes that 33,000 gun deaths a year is just the price of freedom to keep and bear arms. That may be the case. But if you look at the example of other countries who have stricter laws and fewer deaths, are they less free in any meaningful way?

I really wish I could understand how that works, since most of the gun violence in the USA is committed with weapons obtained illegally. I know it is a tired adage, but still, I think, a true one. If you outlaw guns, you only take them away from the people who would not use them in a crime in the first place.

Nowhere does the Constitution say that the government is responsible for the people's individual safety. They are responsible for the safety of the nation as a whole, but not individual safety. DC v. Warren settled the case.

If the government is not responsible for our personal safety wouldn't it be injustice for them to deprive us of our means of self defense?

Anyway, he said that the result was a massive and undeniable decrease in gun violence and other gun-related deaths.

While it may be true that gun related violence and deaths decreased, it doesn't necessarily mean that there is the same drop in violence or deaths. Be careful of statistics...I work in that industry and it's shameful how often people tailor it to suit their needs.

In yet another blow to civilized society...on today's news they were talking all day about a man who attacked a woman with....poop. All caught on video. I'm often reminded of why my decision to move out fo the city was a good one. Also in case others weren't aware, there was a huge spike in slashings this year in NYC (many completely random). Given this, it brings about more support to my earlier point that you shouldn't think something like the OP scenario of an attack at a launch won't happen.

Perhaps the Mods are allowing this to continue since we're trying to be civil and there are some good points to get out of this. If anything, it can make us think about what to do in such an attack even if it never happens. :clap:

Thanks KenECoyote for your observation of my original intent in this discussion. My intent was indeed to stimulate others to be vigilant, not only when focusing on this hobby but wherever they live or work. And I appreciate the moderators for allowing this thread to run its course, whatever their reasoning. Thanks!

This started a a good discussion and turned political. You can have a good discussion without turning to labels and politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back