Selecting suitable MOSFETs for triggering e-match

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfb_rolley

Reaction score
This is more to confirm that I haven't totally lost my marbles yet after cramming a stack of coding in to a single, already busy a long weekend (high chance those marbles are actually gone though).

Long story short I'm working on another data logger/flight computer and want to use a MOSFETs to trigger e-matches for ejection. On my previous data logger I use a reed switch and pull an output pin of the Arduino Nano to high at apogee. The reed switch flows +7.2V straight from the 2s lipo to the e-match, and this has worked perfectly. But, that's in low and mid power rockets, and reed switches do have a vibration and shock limit, so I want to change to using MOSFETs. Trouble is, when testing the new logger on a breadboard with the MOSFETs, it'll light up LEDs perfectly fine but will not fire an e-match.

The two MOSFETs I've tried using (just salvaged ones) are a STP16NF06 and a 24N60C3. When testing each of these, the both pass full battery voltage, but upon checking the current, I'm, getting just 40mA with the STP16NF06 and 190mA using the 24N60C3 - not enough to reliably fire an e-match. If I instead grab a second 2s lipo and use that to apply +7.2v to the gate, e-match fires instantly.

I probably don't quite have enough experience or understanding of MOSFETs to confidently state that I know why this is, but I believe my problem is gate threshold voltage. The STP16NF06 has a gate threshold voltage of 2v minimum, 4v max, and the other is 2.1v minimum, 3v typical and 4v max. The ESP32-S3 board I'm using only puts out 3.3v on the output pins, and while that's enough to allow some current to flow, this is only enough to light and LED but not an e-match, so I'd need to use a MOSFET with a lower gate voltage threshhold.

(...Should also mention test circuit):
esp output pin >>> gate
Drain >>> e-match pin 1
e-match pin 2 >>> 7.2v+
Source >>> Ground
10k resistor between gate and source

Thoughts? Is my thinking correct, or have I got some more learning to do?

You've checked the output of the battery through something like a 24W globe to make sure it's not the power source?

My other thought is high resistance through the e-match. Might be limiting the current. Try another igniter?
1715247593952.png

Ok, I don’t know if that’s correct. I’ll summarise why:
3.3v on gate with P16NF06 resulted in 40mA current.

3.3v on gate with 24N60C3 and everything else exactly the same resulted in 190mA current.

Testing both again, with the exact same setup, but 7.2v on the gate resulted in e-match firing instantly, and minimum fire current on these e-matches is 400mA.

…from my understanding, the minimum gate voltage is the minimum needed for any current to pass, and the maximum is the amount needed for all current to pass. This is the understanding I’m wanting to check, because I believe that the reason why some current passed at 3.3v is because it was above the minimum, but not over the maximum, so not enough current could pass, and 7.2v is above both, which is why applying 7.2v worked.

1715253683838.png

I might be reading the datasheet wrong, but the FET is rated to 60V with a gate voltage up to 20V
Here's the output in Amps for the gate voltage applied, which suggests your results are correct.
7V on the gate should be good for just over 28A, but 3.3V looks to be around the ballpark of your tests.
5V on the gate should be good for a smidge over 7A through the igniter.

Check out the PMV16XNR
1715257415864.png

You might also want to consider a MOSFET Gate controller chip.
It's powered by 12V and can bias any MOSFET with a 3V signal.

You need MOSFET's with a Vgs(th) MAXIMUM that is below the output voltage of your processor. The FET you have could potentially require 4V to trigger and still be on spec, but wouldn't fire with 3.3V. The ones that we use all have a Vgs(th) maximum of 2.0V or less... the one that we use in the EZ-DD kit for the low-side switching is an IRLU024.

You might also want to consider a MOSFET Gate controller chip.
It's powered by 12V and can bias any MOSFET with a 3V signal.
didn’t even know that was a thing - see this is why I ask questions haha.

Ordered a pack of IRLZ34N before seeing this post, but looks like they will work for now.
1715313605939.png

Back