Second CATO w/Cesaroni J595 6XL 38mm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that we were in a cooperative relationship with the manufacturers? Whatever happened to civil discourse? Perhaps they should be involved in the solution, not dictated to?

Why make it adversarial?

I agree Tom, but it is my understanding all are not willing. I hope I'm wrong, but we are about to find out stand by...

All of the committees we have are volunteers. Are you willing to help rather than just pointing out what other people should volunteer to do?

Despite your effort to shame someone who already volunteers 100s of hours a year… Sure! It won’t take that much more time. Have the motor manufacturers email me when they issue a bulletin and I would be glad to compile and post it, and related information, to a dedicated page on the TRA website. I’ll even trigger (send) an email to a notification group. Have one the DNN adminis contact me and we'll set it all up.

Consider their response......They're really just defense contractors making missile and rocket motors, and the extra capacity is hobby rocket motors. If they decide that they're being squeezed, a perfectly valid response would be to just shut the 'toy' division down for a quarter or two. As a 26 year veteran of the Navy, and having been in the DOD electronics industry for the last 5....that sort of tit-for-tat happens all the time to modify price, or behavior.

This is getting dangerously close to the idea of the supplier blaming the customer, and the customer blaming the supplier in an endless death spiral. I, for one, want to see ALL other options explored before we get to that point.

Despite your effort to shame someone who already volunteers 100s of hours a year… Sure! It won’t take that much more time. Have the motor manufacturers email me when they issue a bulletin and I would be glad to compile and post it, and related information, to a dedicated page on the TRA website. I’ll even trigger (send) an email to a notification group. Have one the DNN adminis contact me and we'll set it all up.

Hardly everyone is 'online' at these groups or the home pages or forums of the governing bodies, and CERTAINLY by no means with any frequency, as my most recent launch experience illustrates.

Anything like a 'be aware of catos bulletin' that can go out to a members list should go out in email and print form for best effective distribution. THAT will cost time and money and personnel resources.

Anything like a 'be aware of catos bulletin' that can go out to a members list should go out in email and print form for best effective distribution. THAT will cost time and money and personnel resources.

I'd agree that print is not practical, but email is. We are already doing this via the TRA "announce" email alias. NAR sends out the " The Electronic Rocketeer". So it aint no thing to push out an email as needed.

That’s pretty dramatic.
We’ll keep trying to get the manufacturers to notify all three associations whenever there’s a recall. TMT posts announcements to the Prefect Forum now. Announcements posted to the Prefect forum automatically are emailed to all the Prefects. The Prefect last should keep their members updated, but maybe I can get our IT Committee and TMT Committee to set up and post to a special read only announcements forum to which members can subscribe. How would that be?

That’s pretty dramatic.
We’ll keep trying to get the manufacturers to notify all three associations whenever there’s a recall. TMT posts announcements to the Prefect Forum now. Announcements posted to the Prefect forum automatically are emailed to all the Prefects. The Prefect last should keep their members updated, but maybe I can get our IT Committee and TMT Committee to set up and post to a special read only announcements forum to which members can subscribe. How would that be?

Nothing dramatic about it. It is what it is. Your the one being dramatic by putting words into my mouth.

I think you have described something like this before, but I'm not aware of anything ever coming of it and while it is a step in the right direction I'm with Tom that it's not enough. Unless TRA periodically sends an email to all members as a reminder the "announcement forum" exists it will not be effective, but even that requires the member to make a special point to log in and subscribe. Motor failures can be a safety issue and deserve membership notification and a dedicated page where new bulletins are posted along with there supporting info (and links) in perpetuity.

You’re right; this does require flyers to opt in. For better or worse the Can Spam laws require that at some point and our members really are ultimately responsible for the motors they fly. Your first request was simply for a list that RSOs could bring. I think this exceeds that. I still don’t know if it’s possible though.

You’re right; this does require flyers to opt in. For better or worse the Can Spam laws require that at some point and our members really are ultimately responsible for the motors they fly. Your first request was simply for a list that RSOs could bring. I think this exceeds that. I still don’t know if it’s possible though.

Your confusing what we may do at our own launches en lieu of that same resource at the assoc level. IOW the individual clubs should not have to replicate what should be done once at that assoc level. Namely the compilation of all the bulletins into one place. A webpage is not perfect for the reasons Tom explained, but it is very good given the resources required to implement. The only thing additional (exceeding), is what Tom suggested, send an email, which again TRA is doing anyway. The last one I received was earlier this month.

Back