SD's RamJet Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel the temptation..... Just one more thing do you think the upper section should be payload?

Ok, Micromeister will kill me here but....all the parts were from a Estes Richochet set ( that's right you can make one of these at home :) ) so I have to use what was avalible to me, unforunetly, this ment that the way I wanted the fins, the grain would be running perpentivular to the leading edge :jaw: I soaked these fins in MinWay wool hardener, which should really help.

OH SD! Minwax wood hardener will be working against you in this case, making the fins sapwood brittle and causing more breaks on flex and landing then if you'd left it alone. I strongly suggest adding a plain old paper laminate to both sides of each fin if the grain is running the wrong way.

Why would I kill you SD...Kit Bashing is a great way to get parts! I caught a great sale on baby berthas and Vikings a while back..bought a dozen of each just for the nosecones, kept most of the other "bonus" parts as well.

Do I understand your ram-Jet is your own design? If so, It's a good looking job SD keep up the good work.
You are aware the ones in my pics are up & down scales of the old ESTES kit right?

Cjl is right though....time for a test flight before ya get to far into the finishing. and seriously nothing less then a A8-3 to get a decent idea of its under power stability;)

If your model were really a ram-jet that area would be part of the engine, I was thinking your design might look kewl if you had exhaust ports or slats cut in around the circumference of the aft transition. If your feeling a bit lazy, these exhaust ports or slats could be simulated with Vinyl or painted in place.

Last edited:
Ok......done! Who's ready to see a video of a test flight? ;) cause here she comes.....

I cant figure out which one of the little kids screaming was him :confused2: :roll:

Ben

That was a B6, third flight on B6 First was on a A8 (sevearly underpowered) but on a B it looks drameticly overpowered!

I cant figure out which one of the little kids screaming was him :confused2: :roll:

Ben
There were 2 kids with me 8 and 6 the 8 year old girl, Paris screamed, you can also see this inflight 1 and 2 and 3 :D I was the one shouting what the rocket was doing.

Ben
:roll:

Nice launch!

Still can't get those plastic chutes to open huh?
Try putting a little talcum powder inside it. just a little bit though. not enough to tow the rocket down.

Didn't you see at the end of the video when the camera was looking at the streamer?

That was a B6, third flight on B6 First was on a A8 (sevearly underpowered) but on a B it looks drameticly overpowered!

Good thing you didn't use a 1/2A6 like you initially planned then. You should try it on a C6-5 :D

I almost lose sight of it on a B ( 400 feet, tops) but some how on an A8 I got around 60 feet tops, it was against the trees so I could make a very goo estemation. If I can expect exponentialy growth, I am NOT use a C

I would guess that if it made 400 feet on a B, then you're looking at 700-800 feet on a C (which is about what I would have guessed based on the rocket size anyways). With a streamer, it should definitely be doable.

I am worried about damage, if you look at the touchdown sequence, it was, nose, steamer then body tube

Why would you be worried about damage? The landing looked fine to me...

I have a tiny area to work with (backyard+ golf corse) the third fight ended up in a huge field of rose bushes and dence shrub, persisAnce is what make a rocketeer what he is.

Find a bigger field then ;)

As for the rose bushes, ouch. I've had to retrieve a rocket from dense shrubbery before, and it is incredibly irritating. Good to know you got it back though.

I spent 37 mins (I start the timer when rocket launches to see how long it take forbid to come down) looking and wondering through that stuff, but I wasn't gonna loose my faverite rocket so far.

Back