Scratch Scale Jayhawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AARRRGH! Thirty two waterslide decals applied tonight and I'm only halfway done. It's a good thing Gordy at Excelsior uses quality decal paper with the amount of fiddling ,unfolding, repositioning,blotting, repositioning again, cursing, etc. I've been doing. At least I had the Estes Pro-series kit placement diagrams. They don't have any measurements so it's been done by eye. The decals so far aren't perfect but they still look pretty cool. Pics will follow the rest of the ordeal.:D Ted

The decals are finished!:clap: A few were duplicates so I didn't have to apply all 64 of them. I'm fairly happy with how they look but I'd like to touch up a few of them. I'm using an enamel clearcoat that uses aliphatic naptha and xylene as solvents. Will this coating make fine-tip marker ink run? Or do I have to remove(how?) the decals and re-order some replacements? Ted

rockets and stuff 2 053.jpg

rockets and stuff 2 054.jpg

rockets and stuff 2 055.jpg

I'm using an enamel clearcoat that uses aliphatic naptha and xylene as solvents. Will this coating make fine-tip marker ink run? Or do I have to remove(how?) the decals and re-order some replacements? Ted

I'd do a test panel. Just use some of the extra decals on the same base coat then apply the clear...... let it dry and put it out in the sun. We tend to forget that most of our rockets are not used in the workshop. Sometimes they are......:confused2:

That's a good idea Jerry. I have a test panel started for compatibility of the different coatings and it's been okay so far. I've been using armorcote brand spray bombs in their primer, rust paint and enamels. I haven't had any compatibility problems with these paints and they go on well. They do seem somewhat brittle when the build-up is thick. I do have a few spots on the decals where small portions of the clear areas look poor due to folding under and less than perfect adhesion. I think I'll cut off those bits and remove them. Here are some close-ups. Ted

rockets and stuff 2 057.jpg

rockets and stuff 2 058.jpg

rockets and stuff 2 059.jpg

rockets and stuff 2 063.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone that has helped with this project and a special thank you to Sandman(Excelsior) for making the Pro-series Jayhawk set at my request. Any difficulties I've had using the decals are entirely my fault. Gordy's products are first-rate and survived my inexperience well. I hope some others will buy a set for their Jayhawk and make his effort worth the time.

Back