Scratch-built Swarm Clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They aren't carrying them all the time, but they are doing some runs of the nosecones once in a while. I got them to make two of the 11.41" nosecones for me last year. I asked Jay about them (and the 7.5" glass nosecones) recently and he said they were working on getting the molds refinished and hoped to have clarity on timing sometime soon.

But, if you want one right now, Wildman is pretty much your only game in town.
The molds are beat, they said they were going to produce new molds but it would be a few months at least.

Okay, so here's my current ORK file for a Stretch Swarm. The price for the fiberglass 29mm tubes isn't much different than the phenolic tubes, so I'm buying the fiberglass tubes, a few at a time.

*If* I could afford the over $600 for H13s, I could get it to over 8000 ft. AGL with a K470 central motor.

Once I build it, donations of H13s and/or $$ for purchasing them will be gladly accepted. [grin]

Mark Hayes has put together a fantastic decal plan for this rocket that I'll share once I pay him some money for it!

Attachments

• StretchSwarm.ork
    488 KB · Views: 0
Okay, so here's my current ORK file for a Stretch Swarm. The price for the fiberglass 29mm tubes isn't much different than the phenolic tubes, so I'm buying the fiberglass tubes, a few at a time.

*If* I could afford the over $600 for H13s, I could get it to over 8000 ft. AGL with a K470 central motor.

Once I build it, donations of H13s and/or $$ for purchasing them will be gladly accepted. [grin]

Mark Hayes has put together a fantastic decal plan for this rocket that I'll share once I pay him some money for it!
Yeah, clusters are super cool... until you have to load up some motors!

Even my Swarm Junior costs over $100 to load up with Estes E-12's:

PXL_20220604_154056656.jpg

I have a 12" Darkstar in production right now - central 98mm surrounded by 6 x 75mm motors. That one is going to set me back a bit to launch...

My Motoreater has a 54 and 8 29 mm mounts. I have 4 29/240 and 4 29/360 cases that you can borrow. Put in a central K740 C* or K1103X for an additional 400 N-s from the 4 grain case. Use white or smoky for the outboards and fuse them from the central motor. If you have timers for the outboards, use dipped ematches.

My Motoreater has a 54 and 8 29 mm mounts. I have 4 29/240 and 4 29/360 cases that you can borrow. Put in a central K740 C* or K1103X for an additional 400 N-s from the 4 grain case. Use white or smoky for the outboards and fuse them from the central motor. If you have timers for the outboards, use dipped ematches.
Tom, you're one of my Rocket Heroes!

I have one each of the 29/240 and 29/360, so if I can get hold of one more each, I can load a full set. Add a Loki L480 in the central MMT and I can do over 11000 ft.

It won't really save me any money, though. The L480 is much more expensive than the K470 will cost me and the AT 29mm H reloads are maybe $10 less than the H13 single-use motors.

The K1103X is the same price as the other reloads like the K550. The 29 mm reloads have more total impulse than the H13s.

I can't wait to see this fly.
Me, too!
The K1103X is the same price as the other reloads like the K550. The 29 mm reloads have more total impulse than the H13s.
I can get the AMW K470 for under $100 and I already own the hardware.

True about the H13 vs. the other motors, but something just gives me a warm fuzzy when I think about long-burn outboards. [grin] However, if I use the AMW K470 with 12 H13s vs. the other motors, I only get 11 more feet expected altitude with the other motors.

H13's are Super Thunder. You won't get much visual or sound from them although 12 of them should give an effect :)

Latest posts

Back