Scratch Built 2 Stage HPR - 'Ink'

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucasSpringsteen

Reaction score
This is the first high power scratch built rocket I have done. I am familiar with scratch building because I participate in TARC, and that is what we do. I have experience building single stage rockets, but no experience with 2 stage rockets. I decided to combine high power and 2 stage and design this.

The Concept:

The idea comes from a video I saw, where two CTI 'Smoky Sam' motors were air-started. The rocket left a nice dark smoke trail in the sky. So, my design is to airstart an AeroTech Fast Jack, or Dark Matter motor. This will paint the sky with black smoke, hence the name 'Ink'.

The Design:

Here is an image of the design. It utilizes the typical staging coupler method, and dual deploy (Sims to 4000k feet on an I140W to an H115DM) Here is the catch; the booster is designed to drag separate from the sustainer. For this to happen, the booster's fins are bigger. Upon, motor cut-out, they will separate. Also, the coupler will be shear-pinned to the booster, and left loose on the sustainer.

Y72v2OO.png

Specs - 38mm booster, 29mm sustainer, 16" booster, 18" lower body, 18" upper body, 4" Diameter, LOC Tubing and Nose Cone.

Construction:

I've already practically created a build thread on my website, so I am not going to do it again here. Check it out here: https://lucasspringsteen.yolasite.com/projects.php

When the time comes to decorate "Ink", you should consider decals/vinyl with tattoo style images and/or lettering to keep with the theme.

Pictures!

I was going to do some water-slide decals. I will have "Ink" written in "Brush Script Std" font. The rocket is going to be painted black, so here is a sample decal:

pXAkREY.jpg

Wont it be hard to drag separate the booster if you are using shear pins??

Conman13 - The booster is slipped onto the sustainer and left loose. Shear pins are inserted through the coupler, where it is inserted into the booster. The shear pins hold the coupler to the booster, not the sustainer. Therefore, the booster and coupler fall away from the sustainer.

BABAR - Rocksim won't let me give the booster part a parachute. I happen to have a 24" X-chute, which may be a bit large, but its falling from maybe 1000 feet at the most.

ok that works. you may even want to consider using rivets from apogees website for a stronger but still removable set up.

Rivets won't work. I want my booster to come down via parachute. They would be good for our TARC rockets next year...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back