Scratch Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpklein

Reaction score
DSCN7090.jpg

My first attempt at a MMX recoverable model. I have made a couple of other MMx sized models but they do not have recovery capability, although I was thinking I could fly them in a short grassy area and let them lawn dart but I put too much time into them, a Vostock and Soyouz. So they are just display models that go with the Proton and N-1, both of witch have recovery and flown. All the same scale.

Last edited:
I built it on a 1:700 scale with the intention of making a launch complex dorama as I have a number of 1:700 scale buildings and structures to work with. The gantry is going to be a b**ch to make using 1/32" square bass strips. I could acid etch the structure but that is an investment I am not going to make for one project.

WOWEEE! That is one nice little jewel of a rocket. I know how hard it is to work in that scale, color me impressed.

Gantry and launch pad now built.DSCN7220.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN7220.jpg
    DSCN7220.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Most excellent! How did you do the stringers around the lower part of the booster?

Most excellent! How did you do the stringers around the lower part of the booster?

I used extruded plastic sprue from a model kit tree, heat it over a flame untill it gets soft then pull, cut and glue in place, simple to do.

I used extruded plastic sprue from a model kit tree, heat it over a flame untill it gets soft then pull, cut and glue in place, simple to do.
OMG dude! I do N scale and you are my new Modeling God! Absofrickinlutely amazingly wonderful! That is a sterling job, mate- be very proud!

I thought those were reference photos of the real thing when I first looked at them- WOW!

Nicely done! Your attention to detail is amazing! Have any pictures of the Vostok and Soyuz?

Thanks everyone. After doing a little looking around on the net for 1:700 scale stuff, I found people who are making very highly detaled models in that scale with acid etched parts they make themselves. I thaught about doing something like that but as with everything else, I would rather not invest in a bunch of equipment and supplies I'm not going to use more than once or twice. But it would be neat.

Will try to get some picks of the Vostok and Soyuz along with thier companions, Proton and N-1.

Back