Scissor Wing 2X (old school 1980) [Dynasoar Rocketry]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to put a little paint on the fuselage. Not a lot; just light coat.

Using Rustoleum paint. This paint can damage the foam, so I am avoiding anything but a little overspray.

m_IMG_3228small.jpg

m_IMG_3229small.jpg

By the way, I got 'build fever', and worked on the servo installation when I was really tired. So, the servo on the right side is about 1/4" higher than it should be.

What is particularly sad is that the servo locations were marked by Dynasoar, and I still got it wrong. However, I think the model will still perform all right.

Sometimes, you just need to go to bed. 🥴

m_IMG_3254small.jpg

I think the wing tip lug will hold. I debated adding some thin material between the lug and the graphite rod (black). At least if the lug fails, the wing will open.

m_IMG_3260small.jpg

What are you using the lug for you aren't using the pop pod and the release mechanism releases at the pivot disk? The forward stop is just to keep the wing from getting under the wing during boost and trying to fold it during launch?

What are you using the lug for you aren't using the pop pod and the release mechanism releases at the pivot disk? The forward stop is just to keep the wing from getting under the wing during boost and trying to fold it during launch?
I am not using a release mechanism at the pivot disk.

I intend to use a servo near the forward stop to release the wing rotation.

Looks like it works! I'm curious what your all up weight is going to wind up being once ballasted. Have you figured out if the CP with the wing folded is much different than with the wing opened?

Lawn dart. What happened? :questions:

I forgot to put down some tape/velcro to secure the receiver. When I recovered the model, the battery was in the tip of the nose, not connected.

As bad as it is, it's not that bad. Time to repair and rethink.

m_IMG_3284small.jpg

I was waiting for "forgot to turn the receiver on." But not securing things has the same effect.
Sad to see. You did a great job building this.
I built an original in middle school (74-75ish) that never flew (except off the roof of the back porch for glide tests) I have one of the reissue here somewhere that I will be building much to the chagrin of the Female Overlord.

Step 1 is it plugged in?
Step 2 is it still plugged in😄

I even included velcro in the kit 😄
Step 1 - Yes, battery was plugged in on launch pad: I tested it.

Step 2 - No ....... Battery was no longer plugged in to the receiver. Battery in nose cone.

And the mistake I made was not securing the receiver. There was no velcro on the receiver to hold location on the rocket. I did have velcro in the nose cone to hold the battery.

I am guessing the receiver disconnected at launch.

Back