School Visit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
Returning home from work last night, my wife INFORMED me that she was taking some of my model rockets to school this week. I swallowed hard, with visions of my fleet being passed out to kids to manhandle. But I need not worry.
She is filling in as substitute teacher and will be showing "October Sky" (the Homer Hickham story) in class. She selected the Little Green Man, and a few other rockets and said she would need a hand-out for those interested.
Presto! I handed her a copy of the hand-out that I prepared a year ago for our club and another event. It contains basic information, contact info, and our schedule of launches. She also said perhaps some kids will be motivated to have their family come to our launch at Bob Evans Farms this Saturday!
Now, if the weather will just cooperate...

I can image it was a bit worrisome to think of your rockets at school. I used to do a lot of both school and scout model rocket events. I learned very early not to take anything that was easily broken. Nothing was ever intentional, just kids being kids. I tried to take as many plastic fin can rockets as possible. I used a Big Bertha or Little Bertha for demo launches - low and slow. I would also take individual parts, like a fabric chute, a big nose cone, etc. to give them something to handle that was more robust.

For scout demos I used a 4" body tube with fins I made out of Foam core. They were cut with a slot in the fin tab so I could slide them over the body tube. Much easier to transport than a real 4" rocket. The larger size made it a lot easier for the boys to see and also impressed them. I would also pass out the nose cone and chute to them as well, and sometimes a motor case depending on the situation.

I also had prints of rockets taking off with a variety of propellants.

It was always a lot of fun and the teachers and parents were very appreciative. A pretty good way to spend an afternoon. I hope you get all your rockets back in one piece and gain a few new members for your club.

Tony

If you can swing it, bring one that the kids can hold. They will really light up. And I've demonstrated field repairs of a busted fin with super glue on more than one occasion.

Well, mixed bag results....

All the rockets came home intact and complete without damage. The wife says they were great and helped to inspire the kids to write a story.

Second, the weather has not cooperated and as a result, our second attempt at a May rocket launch had to be scrubbed as well...

Back