Schlieren Photography

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that looks seriously fun. Shame the mirrors are so expensive...

Phil

This sort of think is tough to achieve outdoors. Although we did sometimes get a form of it by accident doing ballistic photography on the gunnery range I worked at a while back.
Can't post the pic, but will try to remember to bring it to IRW.

That's so cool! Too bad I don't have a good enough camera for it, or so I would think.

Should work with any camera which can zoom in enough, I'd think. The mirror, light source and filter are the more important bits.

Well the mirror is still a big part...pretty expensive. I'd love to see a Schlieren picture of a rocket launching. A static test of a motor would be pretty cool. A draggy rocket like a saucer would look interesting, with all the turbulence behind it.

yeah Schlieren lights are cool, got to play with a set up for the supersonic wind tunnel at school. we didn't take photos though we had to hang a piece of paper on the wall and mark the lines during the run, not so easy when the run is only a few seconds long.

Back