=Scale= Looking for Thor-Able II data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianc

Reaction score
Well, inspired by finding an old <a href="https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14687">National Geographic with coverage of the TIROS I launch</a>, I'm going to attempt my first scale build in many, many (too many) years. :)

So, for the past few months, I've been searching for scale data on the Thor-Able II
(specifically 148, launched 1 Apr 1960). I've uncovered most of the photos
that have been posted on the 'Net, and a few facts, but so far no dimensional drawings
or blueprints.

Other than the ROTW reference, does anyone have a drawing or detailed measurements
to share?

TIA.

Originally posted by brianc
Other than the ROTW reference, does anyone have a drawing or detailed measurements
to share?

Rather than slighting ROTW, you might try actually asking the author if there is more detailed information in his source files.
You'd be surprised at what is on file but not in the book.

I checked my collection of photos and came across a Thor-Able, but not the round you're looking for.

Originally posted by CTimm
Rather than slighting ROTW, you might try actually asking the author if there is more detailed information in his source files.
You'd be surprised at what is on file but not in the book.
Not meant as a slight... I just didn't want a dozen people sending scans from the ROTW book. ;)
I had also posted this to the NARscale (scaleroc) Yahoo group where Peter hangs out. It appears
my post is awaiting moderation... If it doesn't hit the list soon, then I'll pester Peter directly.

I checked my collection of photos and came across a Thor-Able, but not the round you're looking for.
Don't think I'd seen that one before. THANX!

Originally posted by wwattles
You might want to inquire with the PR folks at Boeing Space Systems
Yup, been there. Didn't want to bug those folks until I had exhausted other sources.

Thanks.

OT- did ya'll see recent scuttlebutt about some 'keepers of the blueprints' restricting
access to scale modelers on copyright claims?!?!? ISTR, it started with the model
manufacturers (Revell, etc) and has spread down to individuals...

Originally posted by brianc
OT- did ya'll see recent scuttlebutt about some 'keepers of the blueprints' restricting
access to scale modelers on copyright claims?!?!? ISTR, it started with the model
manufacturers (Revell, etc) and has spread down to individuals...

Yes. I brought it up in this thread

WW

I have to dig a little, but I think I have a highly detailed modelers drawing of a TAD Thor (thrust-augmented).
Or maybe it was a TAD Delta?
It has those stubby strap-on boosters.
Now to find them.............

Back