1/3 scale (4") WAC Corporal...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Posted this elsewhere, but thought it might be welcome here as well...

I was on a ski vacation in Southern Utah last week when the ski area closed, so I had time to mess around in Open Rocket. I've been wanting to do an HP WAC Corporal for a while now, so I used Peter Alway's drawing and some data found on the net to come up with the attached plan in OR.

Just a few things to point out about the file:

I want this to be a scale WAC Corporal as opposed to an upscale Estes K-11 or pseudo-scale TFNC TLAR-scale.

I was being lazy and didn't take time to use the freeform fin tool to do the rounded fin corners, but the model will have them. I will most likely go back and add this detail to the file at some point after measuring photos to obtain the proper radius (Or as close as I can approximate, anyway).

Peter's drawing does not call out the over all length of the conduit down the side or it's precise position, though both are are easy to estimate. Looking at various photos of different WAC rounds, it appears that the length of the conduit and the shape of it's it's end caps varied from round to round. For example, the famous photos of the early version (is it round number five?) show the typical conical end caps, but the Smithsonian's example has ogive end caps and a much longer conduit.

On my file, the conduit is placed as in Peter's drawing at the aft end (referenced by the tank/fin can joint), but the length is a bit short so as to (conveniently) not overlap the booster/payload seam. :oops: I promise I will quit being so daggum lazy and will come up with a more accurate length.:rolleyes:

The payload bay is kind of short, but I figure that with a big, hollow fiberglass cone there will be plenty of room for the main and all of it's business.

The switch band is only .667" wide. This should be plenty of room for switch access (I like screw switches) and conveniently made up for the scale fractions between two standard length airframe tubes.:D

As I said, I'm wanting to make a fairly accurate scale WAC here, so any comments, corrections, advice or smart remarks are welcome!!

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Attachments

• 4 inch WAC Corporal.ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I opened it and it showed the 54mm mount. Here's an updated version. Lesee if it works better...

Attachments

• 4 inch WAC Corporal.ork
    2.1 KB · Views: 14
One more note:

The fin thickness is called out .625" with an airfoiled profile. They are also called out as birch plywood.

The fins on the actual model will be scale thickness, which is .625" as noted, and will have a bi-convex airfoil but they will be built up from much thinner ply and hollow. They will be quite a bit lighter than OR thinks...

BTW - The WAC CORPORAL fins are NOT BEVELED . . . Per info on John Coker's website.

QUOTE :

I was still concerned about the fin shape because some of the old pictures really look like bevels, but Andy Hobbs set me straight:

"The fins on the Wac Corporal are not beveled, the pictures give a very convincing illusion of bevels but in reality it is a difference in the sheen of the metal fins. You will not find a real Wac Corporal with fins beveled.
This set of photos has fooled a lot of people and a number of kit makers including Estes, so the beveling idea just keeps perpetuating itself over and over. Heck, even Q modeling gives out a bevel jig in their kit.
I got this information from Peter Alway and I have also seen the rocket first hand; no bevels."

END QUOTE :

Dave F.

02-037-424.jpg

32467564827_9f60f94722_4k.jpg

33533887698_0e0b74849f_4k.jpg

40444230033_556a358123_4k.jpg

47356952662_ee1f325f1f_4k.jpg

40444225733_2acf5a193f_4k.jpg

32467563627_6a3a9041e1_4k.jpg

33533886788_52b0c3feea_4k.jpg

46686436334_170f7c91d3_4k.jpg

47356946492_fd19bba307_4k.jpg