SBR Fusion 3 Build - Albacore

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budro0

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While out at Tri-Cities Rocketeers June Swoosh launch, I picked up a 3" Fusion with the intent that it be my next build. However, it is not exactly what I envisioned, and so I immediately set about modifying it for a traditional dual deploy. This meant stretching the airframe to accommodate two chutes and an av-bay. I will also probably put in a longer motor mount to fit a 38/720 better. If I can keep this one under 1500g, great but I'm not going to fret about it. I'd like to see it get up on the upper reaches of an I, so I will definitely be beefing up the motor mount and adding some glass to the 1/8" fins. I haven't completely settled on altimeters yet, but I do have a couple Eggtimer Quarks headed my way and MW RRC2Ls in another rocket. But maybe she needs her own?

In keeping with the marine theme of late (see my L1 Blackfish, and planned build Bluegill), this one will be "Albacore" - technically a false albacore, but who's counting.

Inspiration:

IMG_0573.jpg

Original Fusion 3:

Stock Fusion 3.png

Stretched for DD:

Albacore Fusion.png

Attachments

• SBR Fusion 3.ork
    135.9 KB · Views: 6
Since this one gained so much interest, I decided to update all you kind people...

I kid, I've been horrible about updating this and my ongoing scratch build. But I have got work done on both. Actually both are mostly complete. Still have some ejection charge testing to do, and top coats. But I could be done for the last launch of the season this weekend.

Anyway, I think the false albacore paint came out well. This is Wicked's metallic platinum as a base, then Wicked's spectrum silver to get the silver body. The "green" and then blue on the back are Candy2o tealicious and marine blue, respectively. Tealicious is much more green in person. I think it's ready for a topcoat now.

PSX_20211101_221443.jpg

Back