Saturn V.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge2

Reaction score
Just throwing my two cents in, call me a heretic but I've never been a fan of the Saturn V.I've just never seen one fly well enough to make me want one.Of course I haven't seen all of them but I haven't been impressed by what I have seen.As far as scale models go, my favorite is the Aerobee300.The original Estes kit was somewhat small but it was a great flyer.Also theMaxi Brute Pershing.Had one of those but a motor cato destroyed it.

It sounds to me like you aren't a fan of Saturn V flying model kits. That's fine. Just a matter of taste, and yeah, they are a pain to make fly well, usually requiring the scale of the fins to be off and/or an excessive amount of nose weight.

Disparage the real Saturn V though and I will have to whip out the 40k memes. And such grievous heresy will require a more extreme response than the blood angel marine one I usually use.

It sounds to me like you aren't a fan of Saturn V flying model kits. That's fine. Just a matter of taste, and yeah, they are a pain to make fly well, usually requiring the scale of the fins to be off and/or an excessive amount of nose weight.

Disparage the real Saturn V though and I will have to whip out the 40k memes. And such grievous heresy will require a more extreme response than the blood angel marine one I usually use.
Point taken.Considering the time period in which it was done it was an extraordinary feat of engineering.Von Braun shut a lot of people's mouths back then.

I swapped the Estes tubing out for LOC tubing on mine, upgraded the motor mount to 29mm, made the fins slightly larger, and put an Eggtimer Apogee in it for deployments. It flies really well on a CTI G54...

Aerobee's flight really well too, but they're basically a standard 3FNC rocket so that would be expected. Something with transitions, fairings, wraps, and minimally-sized fins is a lot more challenging.

Just throwing my two cents in, call me a heretic but I've never been a fan of the Saturn V.I've just never seen one fly well enough to make me want one.Of course I haven't seen all of them but I haven't been impressed by what I have seen.As far as scale models go, my favorite is the Aerobee300.The original Estes kit was somewhat small but it was a great flyer.Also theMaxi Brute Pershing.Had one of those but a motor cato destroyed it.
The SATURN V is "okay" . . . BUT, the SATURN-1B "rocks" ! ! !

1689305015177.png

1689305192886.png

Dave F.

I got your back, Antares, in defending the Real Saturn V. It was the best--thirteen launches, no failures (and we can debate SA-502).

It was a mistake to scrap it (and the Saturn IB) for the false promise of the Shuttle.

We should have kept both (Saturn V and IB, I mean) and improved them incrementally as new technology became available.

If you doubt the Shuttle was a mistake, consider that over a decade after its retirement, no one is trying to re-create its capabilities, while at the same time NASA is trying to re-create the capabilities of the Saturn V. What does that tell you???

I got your back, Antares, in defending the Real Saturn V. It was the best--thirteen launches, no failures (and we can debate SA-502).

It was a mistake to scrap it (and the Saturn IB) for the false promise of the Shuttle.

We should have kept both (Saturn V and IB, I mean) and improved them incrementally as new technology became available.

If you doubt the Shuttle was a mistake, consider that over a decade after its retirement, no one is trying to re-create its capabilities, while at the same time NASA is trying to re-create the capabilities of the Saturn V. What does that tell you???
Always liked the 1B better, I had the Cox version several years ago, but the plastic yellowed so badly it was terribly unsightly,plus the tower and a couple of fins were broken and couldn't be fixed so I scrapped it.Going to get another if I can find one.

The Saturn V flies OK once you get away form Estes Black Powder motors. The E20 was the perfect motor for mine as it put the big girl up about 300ft and the ejection was enough to reliably push out all of the chutes which is something the black powder motors have a hard time with.

Back